The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chairman’s Authority

Larry

I received this email from the chairman of my organization:

I was wrong about our not being an Xxxxxx organization. It was an error and I apologize. Topics discussed and decisions made at yesterday's Board Meeting that were predicated upon this misinformation, I am declaring null and void. All policies, practices and protocols will continue as they were prior to yesterday, 10/3/23.

Does the chairman have the authority to declare decisions made by the board null and void?

On 10/4/2023 at 3:57 PM, Larry said:

I received this email from the chairman of my organization:

I was wrong about our not being an Xxxxxx organization. It was an error and I apologize. Topics discussed and decisions made at yesterday's Board Meeting that were predicated upon this misinformation, I am declaring null and void. All policies, practices and protocols will continue as they were prior to yesterday, 10/3/23.

Does the chairman have the authority to declare decisions made by the board null and void?

Not unless the bylaws give him that authority (which seems unlikely). He may be correct in thinking that the actions are null and void (I obviously have no way to know), but he does not have the authority to unilaterally make that determination. That would have to be done by the board at a properly called meeting.

On 10/4/2023 at 4:57 PM, Larry said:

Not outside of a meeting.

He can make such a ruling at the next board meeting, subject to appeal.

I would also note, from the facts presented, that I do not see any basis upon which to properly declare the motions null and void. We are told at this time the chair made this declaration based upon the fact that "Topics discussed and decisions made at yesterday's Board Meeting... were predicated upon... misinformation." The fact that board members were misinformed, in and of itself, does not make a motion null and void.

It may be that the board wishes to take other action based upon this new information, such as rescinding motions which were adopted, or moving motions again which were defeated, but the chair has no authority to make such a decision on his own.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.