The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adding a new board position

Guest CoachK87

So we needed to add another srgt at arms for added security during the season.  We had the body vote yes or no to the position being added and assigning someone to the vacant seat. 

So I wanted to know if this is how we are supposed to do this or if we needed to hold an election for the open seat. 

Thank you for your time. 

coach Kenny  PSI football 

On 10/9/2023 at 1:35 PM, Guest CoachK87 said:

So we needed to add another srgt at arms for added security during the season.  We had the body vote yes or no to the position being added and assigning someone to the vacant seat. 

So I wanted to know if this is how we are supposed to do this or if we needed to hold an election for the open seat. 

I don't think we have sufficient facts to answer this question. What, if anything, do your rules say concerning:

• The position of Sergeant-at-Arms
  • Officer positions generally, including whether additional positions can be added

On 10/9/2023 at 2:35 PM, Guest CoachK87 said:

Thank you for your time. 

coach Kenny  PSI football 

If your offices are listed in your bylaws (and I'm not sure where else they would be) then the way to add new offices, or increase the number of existing ones, then the way to do that is by bylaws amendment.  A simple motion would not be enough.  And yes, I believe an election would be required if that's how the current Sgt@Arms got there.

If this person was put into this position improperly, you'll need to fix things.

But that's not to say that you have to change the bylaws to allow additional people to volunteer for security duty.   One Sgt@Arms could surely supervise a few assistants.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.