The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How do you record a recusal on resolution?

Guest Anonymous

How do you record a recusal on a resolution? What is more fitting when recording a recusal - under which section would you put it under if these are the sections for recording votes? 

Yes - 

Noes - 

Abstained - 

Absent - 

If someone recuses due to a conflict of interest would you record their vote under Abstained [Recused] or under Absent [Recused] 

They weren’t absent, they were there at the meeting to state they are recusing from an item due to a conflict. So I have recorded their name under Abstained [Recused] but was told by a previous employee it should be Absent [Recused]. 

Just trying to have a clear understanding so I know what other’s practice is for recording such votes. 

Thanks!

On 10/19/2023 at 2:19 PM, Guest Anonymous said:

How do you record a recusal on a resolution? What is more fitting when recording a recusal - under which section would you put it under if these are the sections for recording votes? 

Yes - 

Noes - 

Abstained - 

Absent - 

If someone recuses due to a conflict of interest would you record their vote under Abstained [Recused] or under Absent [Recused] 

They weren’t absent, they were there at the meeting to state they are recusing from an item due to a conflict. So I have recorded their name under Abstained [Recused] but was told by a previous employee it should be Absent [Recused]. 

Just trying to have a clear understanding so I know what other’s practice is for recording such votes. 

Thanks!

A person who was present should certainly not be recorded as being absent. If he did not vote he abstained.

But why is it that you are recording votes in this fashion?

On 10/19/2023 at 1:05 PM, Guest Anonymous said:

It’s just been past practice by previous city clerk to do it as such. Do you recommend another way such as having Recusal as its own section? Or I am open to suggestions. 

If the rules in RONR apply, you need not list the recusal at all, unless you do a roll call vote (and then the members would be listed as abstaining; no need to specify "recused'). But since you are talking about a city council, there may be statues or other rules that supersede the rules in RONR. so you need to check those. Or consult the city attorney.

Note that even under RONR, the member may request that his recusal and abstention be recorded, but the council would be under no obligation to grant the request.

On 10/19/2023 at 2:19 PM, Guest Anonymous said:

Yes - 

Noes - 

Abstained - 

Absent - 

Thanks!

Are we talking about recording in the minutes, or something else?  In the minutes, if it was a roll-call vote, you would record the names of each member called, and their reply.  If it's a copy of the resolution for some other purpose, the names and replies are not included at all.

You definitely do not record someone as absent if they are present, previous employees notwithstanding.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.