The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President over srepping power

Guest Daniel D

Annual election of Officers is held in December.  At that meeting (it was clear weather and attendence)  the President decided to postpone elections for 3 months. The reason given was so they could make changes to the By-Laws. The President term of office ends in December and they stated they would be stepping down.

My question is: do they have the right to do this. If not, who would be in charge of the next meeting.

Of course the President has no authority to unilaterally cancel elections. So I assume the assembly ignored this nonsense and held the election anyway, right?

Assuming I'm wrong and the assembly went along with it, we'll need to check the term of office provisions in the bylaws to determine who is the President on January 1.

On 12/21/2023 at 1:44 PM, Guest Daniel D said:

Annual election of Officers is held in December.  At that meeting (it was clear weather and attendence)  the President decided to postpone elections for 3 months.

For future reference, the President alone has no authority to make this decision. If the President nonetheless attempted to do so, a member should have immediately raised a Point of Order, followed by an appeal if necessary.

The assembly itself may postpone the elections while they are pending, but the furthest the election could be postponed would be the next regular meeting - I don't know whether or not the March meeting is the next regular meeting.

My question is: do they have the right to do this.

No. But it sounds like it happened anyway.

If not, who would be in charge of the next meeting.

The assembly itself is "in charge" of any meeting, but what I presume you mean to ask is who will be the presiding officer at the next meeting.

It depends on what exactly the bylaws say concerning the terms of officers, as well as whether the term of the Vice President will also expire before the next regular meeting.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:44 PM, Guest Daniel D said:

Annual election of Officers is held in December.  At that meeting (it was clear weather and attendence)  the President decided to postpone elections for 3 months. The reason given was so they could make changes to the By-Laws. The President term of office ends in December and they stated they would be stepping down.

My question is: do they have the right to do this. If not, who would be in charge of the next meeting.

The proper thing to have done, after the laughter had died down, would be to hold the election anyway.  (see Point of Order and Appeal)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.