The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending adopted minutes to include comments

Laura Meade

On 12/29/2023 at 7:40 PM, Dan Honemann said:

I think a couple of things are worth noting in this regard.

First of all, when RONR says, in 48:3, that "a majority vote may direct the inclusion of specific additional information in the minutes of a particular meeting", it is referring to the fact that this may be done by the adoption, by majority vote, of a subsidiary motion to amend the minutes while they are pending for adoption.  If such a motion is rejected, or dies for lack of a second, the minutes make no mention of it.

Secondly, what RONR says, in 48:15, is that, after minutes have been approved, they may be corrected by means of the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted, but this may only be done to correct "an error or material omission in the minutes".  If I understand the motions complained of here, they certainly are not made for the purpose of correcting an error or material omission, and should be ruled out of order for this reason.  The minutes then need only reflect that "a motion made by Mr. Smith to amend the minutes of the meeting held on October 20, 2023, to include statements which he made [or which Member B made] in debate was ruled out of order by the chair for the reason that it was not made for the purpose of correcting an error or material omission" (or some such thing).

So, you couldn't rescind and expunge because it wasn't an error?  ;)

On 12/30/2023 at 3:05 PM, J. J. said:

You presumption is right, but your answer leads to that conclusion.   

I wouldn't think so.  You're mixing apples and rutabagas.

My previous response was referring to the fact that Amend Something Previously Adopted cannot be used to add something that was said in debate to the adopted minutes of a meeting, such as has been described in the facts presented in this thread.  This is obviously not an effort to correct "an error or material omission" in the minutes (48:15).

Neither Rescind nor Rescind and Expunge from the Minutes can ever be used to do nothing but simply subtract something from previously adopted minutes.  As noted in 35:1 (with emphasis added by me):

"Rescind—also known as Repeal or Annul—is the motion by which a previous action or order can be canceled or countermanded. The effect of Rescind is to strike out an entire main motion, resolution, order, or rule that has been adopted at some previous time. Amend Something Previously Adopted is the motion that can be used if it is desired to change only a part of the text, or to substitute a different version." 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.