The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to handle a main motion that's become moot?

laser158689

On 1/3/2024 at 9:17 AM, laser158689 said:

A main motion was taken up at session 1 but not finally disposed of.  Before session 2 could take it up, it was rendered moot by actions of another party.

What should happen at session 2?

Presiding Officer rules it Out of Order when it comes up?  Move to Postpone Indefinitely (and what if it fails)?

I'm not sure it is possible to answer this question without knowing more details. I can imagine circumstances in which the motion may be out of order because it no longer contains any rational proposition, or for some other reason. I can also imagine circumstances in which the motion may be ill-advised, but still in order.

To the extent the motion is no longer in order, the chair should rule it out of order.

If it remains in order, Postpone Indefinitely may well be a reasonable solution. If this fails for some reason, I don't know that I can guess at what happens next without additional facts.

Town legislative body was debating an amendment to an existing ordinance.  Another Town body (which originally created that ordinance and believed that gave it sole authority over it) rescinded the entire ordinance (in its view, to allow the legislative body to act).

So, the legislative body will be presented with taking up again a motion to amend an ordinance which no longer exists.

On 1/3/2024 at 9:55 AM, laser158689 said:

Town legislative body was debating an amendment to an existing ordinance.  Another Town body (which originally created that ordinance and believed that gave it sole authority over it) rescinded the entire ordinance (in its view, to allow the legislative body to act).

So, the legislative body will be presented with taking up again a motion to amend an ordinance which no longer exists.

This sounds rather puzzling, but to the extent that the ordinance is, in fact, validly rescinded (a question I express no view on and sounds like a problem for the town's attorneys), and it is indeed true that the motion is "to amend an ordinance which no longer exists," I believe the chair should rule the motion out of order on the grounds that it contains no rational proposition for the body to act on.

@Gary Novosielski  News to most of the town as well!  Apparently, the Board of Health has some authority to pass health-related ordinances, which included a noise ordinance.  There is a recurring desire to ban gas-powered leaf blowers, so some "jurisdictional" question of BoH vs town legislative body.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.