The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to correct scrivener's errors in adopted and certified bylaws

Guest sdm24

Hello, everyone,

I drafted bylaws for a corporation (corporation 2) using as a template bylaws that were drafted for another corporation (corporation 1); I inadvertently left in corporation 2's bylaws language that was specific to corporation 1's bylaws and this language is not only confusing but wholly inapplicable to corporation 2. Neither I nor the board noticed the two incorrect terms and the board went ahead and adopted and certified them. The bylaws have already been submitted to a tax authority and I suspect they will catch and be concerned about these errors. Can anyone provide me with advice as to the form of amending or correcting the bylaws due to a scrivener's error as opposed to a substantive change? Thank you!

On 1/11/2024 at 6:32 PM, Guest sdm24 said:

Hello, everyone,

I drafted bylaws for a corporation (corporation 2) using as a template bylaws that were drafted for another corporation (corporation 1); I inadvertently left in corporation 2's bylaws language that was specific to corporation 1's bylaws and this language is not only confusing but wholly inapplicable to corporation 2. Neither I nor the board noticed the two incorrect terms and the board went ahead and adopted and certified them. The bylaws have already been submitted to a tax authority and I suspect they will catch and be concerned about these errors. Can anyone provide me with advice as to the form of amending or correcting the bylaws due to a scrivener's error as opposed to a substantive change? Thank you!

Amending the bylaws requires following the process for bylaws amendment usually contained in the bylaws themselves.

The change of so much as a single comma can be a substantive change, so there is only one amendment process for all changes.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.