The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can you have a hearing within an annual meeting?

Laura Meade

A state organization is having its annual meeting. They have a committee of national representatives that give a report of the proposals that will come before the national delegation. The committee wants informal feedback from the state members on the national proposals.  Should the state meeting recess to have a separate hearing on the proposals, or does the meeting chair just ask for informal feedback to the committee?  No motions are pending and they don't want any motions to require or recommend the representatives vote a certain way. It truly is a hearing, however, they want to limit the length of the hearing/discussion to 20 minutes.  What is the best procedure to accomplish this? 

On 2/2/2024 at 1:52 PM, Libran said:

The committee wants informal feedback from the state members on the national proposals.  Should the state meeting recess to have a separate hearing on the proposals, or does the meeting chair just ask for informal feedback to the committee?

I think that's up to the assembly's preferences.

No motions are pending and they don't want any motions to require or recommend the representatives vote a certain way.

Well, they may not want that, but that's ultimately up to the assembly as well.

It truly is a hearing, however, they want to limit the length of the hearing/discussion to 20 minutes.  What is the best procedure to accomplish this? 

I can think of two main ways to handle this, although conceivably there may be others:

• A member moves "To permit a period of twenty minutes for members to provide informal feedback to the committee of national representatives." The motion can also include such other rules for this matter as desired.
  • Move to recess for 20 minutes. During the recess, the committee holds a hearing, and the committee can establish the twenty minute time limit, and such other rules as desired.

Either of these motions will require a majority vote for adoption. I don't have a personal opinion on which of these is the "best" procedure. I will note that, if the assembly is still meeting, the assembly will be in control of the proceedings. If the assembly is not meeting, and it is a hearing of the committee, the committee will be in control of the proceedings. Which of these is "best" is a matter of opinion.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.