The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When does an amendment to a constitution come into effect?

Guest MKS

Hi, my student association has proposed amendments to our constitution to be voted on at our upcoming General Meeting. The amendments would add a clause about what kind of motions could be voted on in a general meeting or would be required to go to an electronic ballot with a 5 day voting period. The agenda puts the vote on these amendments before a motion myself and some friends have proposed, that we would like to be able to vote on in the general meeting, and not wait for the 5-day voting period. Is there any specification in Robert's Rules about when an amendment to a constitution comes into effect? Is it immediate or would it be after the meeting? If it's immediate, is there a way that we can request to have our motions exempt from this or voted on before the vote for constitutional changes? Thanks!

An amendment takes effect immediately upon adoption. However, the motion to adopt the amendment may contain a proviso setting a later time. The proviso should not be incorporated into the amendment.

I move to amend the constitution by striking X and inserting in its place Y, provided that the amendment shall take effect on the adjournment of the meeting in which it is adopted.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:25 PM, Guest MKS said:

Is there any specification in Robert's Rules about when an amendment to a constitution comes into effect? Is it immediate or would it be after the meeting?

Immediately, unless the assembly adopts a proviso stating otherwise.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:25 PM, Guest MKS said:

If it's immediate, is there a way that we can request to have our motions exempt from this or voted on before the vote for constitutional changes?

Yes, I think there would a few ways to attempt to handle that.

You could recommend adopting a proviso stating that the amendment shall not take effect until adjournment (for example).

You could move to amend the agenda to rearrange the order in which items are considered, so that your desired items are considered first.

You could move to postpone the amendment until after your desired items.

It will be up to the assembly, however, to determine whether to grant your request.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.