The Official RONR Q & A Forums

A secretary's voice vs. as being a member.

Guest Matt

My question is.... Where do you draw the line with a secretary's opinion or input? Every member has the right to voice their opinion or ask for clarification of topics such as where funds are spent etc. We have a secretary that is receiving financial information in emails directed towards the elected offices IE: President, board members and secretary.... I understand that each member of our club has the right to ask questions but is this person abusing the rights of the position in asking for something that's not made public to the club?

On 2/24/2024 at 5:33 PM, Guest Matt said:

Where do you draw the line with a secretary's opinion or input?

The Secretary should not insert their opinions into the minutes.

"The minutes must never reflect the secretary's opinion, favorable or otherwise, on anything said or done." RONR (12th ed.) 48:2

That's the only "line" I can think of specific to the Secretary. The Secretary has the same rights as other members to express their opinion and input.

We have a secretary that is receiving financial information in emails directed towards the elected offices IE: President, board members and secretary

This all seems very reasonable to me. The Secretary is (I presume) a member of the board, and would therefore have, for starters, access to the same information as other board members. The Secretary also likely needs access to a great deal of information to perform the duties of the office of Secretary, which includes serving as the general custodian of the society's records.

"The secretary is the recording officer of the assembly and the custodian of its records, except those specifically assigned to others, such as the treasurer's books." RONR (12th ed.) 47:32

"To maintain record book(s) in which the bylaws, special rules of order, standing rules, and minutes are entered, with any amendments to these documents properly recorded, and to have the current record book(s) on hand at every meeting." RONR (12th ed.) 47:33

"When written reports are received from boards or committees, the secretary records on them the date they were received and what further action was taken on them, and preserves them among his records." RONR (12th ed.) 47:35

I understand that each member of our club has the right to ask questions but is this person abusing the rights of the position in asking for something that's not made public to the club?

The facts presented at this time do not make any reference to the Secretary "asking" for anything, but I don't know that it would make a difference if they did. The Secretary will necessarily have greater access to the society's records then the average member of the club, both in connection with the Secretary's position as a member of the board, and in connection with performing the duties of the office of Secretary. Nothing presented at this time suggests to me any impropriety on the part of the Secretary.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.