The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Close Nominations

Wright Stuff

We have a couple of people who like to demonstrate their proficiency with RONR by moving to close nominations from the floor once there is a brief pause in nominations. RONR says that motions to close nominations should not generally be used, but I didn't see where it says how to discourage their use. If there is a "rapid fire" motion to close nominations, could the chair rule the motion out of order in that it doesn't afford a reasonable opportunity to make motions? Is there a recommendation for dealing with this issue?

The motion to close nominations is not in order when there are people wishing to make nominations.  Here's what RONR says about it.

31:4 Motions to Close or Reopen Nominations.
In the average society, a motion to close nominations is not a necessary part of the election procedure and it should not generally be moved. When nominations have been made by a committee or from the floor, the chair inquires whether there are any further nominations; and when there is no response, he declares that nominations are closed. In very large bodies, the formality of a motion to close nominations is sometimes allowed, but this motion is not in order until a reasonable opportunity to make nominations has been given; as noted above, it is out of order if a member is rising, addressing the chair, or otherwise attempting to make a nomination, and it always requires a two-thirds vote. When no one wishes to make a further nomination, the motion serves no useful purpose.

I think the chair, upon hearing the motion, could say, "It is moved that nominations be closed—are there any final nominations? <pause> "  

If anyone offers another nomination, the motion to close can be ignored.  And if nobody does offer another nomination, the motion to close can still be ignored, and the chair can simply say, "If not <pause> then nominations are closed."  The subsequent paragraph 31:5 deals with the sort of situation where a motion to close nominations would be legitimate.

On 2/29/2024 at 4:48 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

The motion to close nominations is not in order when there are people wishing to make nominations.

The question is more about the short period of time after the last nomination and before the next one. Some people are not as fast as others in making motions and nominations.

On 2/29/2024 at 4:48 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

"It is moved that nominations be closed—are there any final nominations? <pause> "

This response seems like a good one. It acknowledges the motion but ignores it. 

Is it proper for the chair to declare the motion out of order in that an insufficient amount of time has passed since the last nomination? I would imagine this response: "The motion to close nominations is out of order at this time since an ample opportunity to make nominations must be allowed. Are there any final nominations? <pause>"

On 2/29/2024 at 5:04 PM, Wright Stuff said:

The question is more about the short period of time after the last nomination and before the next one. Some people are not as fast as others in making motions and nominations.

This response seems like a good one. It acknowledges the motion but ignores it. 

Is it proper for the chair to declare the motion out of order in that an insufficient amount of time has passed since the last nomination? I would imagine this response: "The motion to close nominations is out of order at this time since an ample opportunity to make nominations must be allowed. Are there any final nominations? <pause>"

No, I would not make that statement unless someone objected or raised a point of order that their motion had been ignored.  Then the chair could explain that it might not be in order.  It would be best if the chair can sneak in the call for final nominations before the motion to close has been seconded.

On 2/29/2024 at 5:10 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

No, I would not make that statement unless someone objected or raised a point of order that their motion had been ignored.  Then the chair could explain that it might not be in order.  It would be best if the chair can sneak in the call for final nominations before the motion to close has been seconded.

Got it. Thanks. 

On 2/29/2024 at 3:28 PM, Wright Stuff said:

We have a couple of people who like to demonstrate their proficiency with RONR by moving to close nominations from the floor once there is a brief pause in nominations.

Much like most cases of "people who like to demonstrate their proficiency with RONR," it seems to me they are actually demonstrating their lack of proficiency with RONR, since this is what RONR says on that subject.

"In the average society, a motion to close nominations is not a necessary part of the election procedure and it should not generally be moved. When nominations have been made by a committee or from the floor, the chair inquires whether there are any further nominations; and when there is no response, he declares that nominations are closed. In very large bodies, the formality of a motion to close nominations is sometimes allowed, but this motion is not in order until a reasonable opportunity to make nominations has been given; as noted above, it is out of order if a member is rising, addressing the chair, or otherwise attempting to make a nomination, and it always requires a two-thirds vote. When no one wishes to make a further nomination, the motion serves no useful purpose." RONR (12th ed.) 31:4

Generally, the motion to close nominations is either:

• Out of order, because a reasonable opportunity has not been given to make nominations; or
  • Pointless, because nominations have ended naturally

If there is a "rapid fire" motion to close nominations, could the chair rule the motion out of order in that it doesn't afford a reasonable opportunity to make motions?

Yes. The text provides "this motion is not in order until a reasonable opportunity to make nominations has been given."

Is there a recommendation for dealing with this issue?

Rule the motion out of order.

On 2/29/2024 at 4:04 PM, Wright Stuff said:

Yes.

Although I also quite like Mr. Novosielski's clever suggestion, which will probably work so long as members do not press the issue.

On 2/29/2024 at 5:21 PM, Josh Martin said:

Although I also quite like Mr. Novosielski's clever suggestion, which will probably work so long as members do not press the issue.

And if they do press the issue by a Point of Order, I would rule it not well taken as violates 31:4.   And be sure to note that a motion to close nominations requires a two-thirds vote, while a motion to reopen nominations requires only a majority.   It is obvious that these rules were written in this way specifically to thwart those who would seek to use a "rapid fire" closing of nominations to deprive others of their rights.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.