The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ballot printing and Elections

Guest pjbrettin@yahoo.com

Guest pjbrettin@yahoo.com

As a new Parliamentarian, getting ready for an upcoming large organizational convention, in our bylaws it is stated that I am (do to the position) responsible for printing the election ballots, designing the election ballots, instructing the Tellers, and the election, itself. I am to decide how the ballots will be tallied too. According to the current RONR, 12th edition, I do not see this within the pages of RONR. Am I really responsible and should the bylaws be revised in the future.

On 3/4/2024 at 10:09 PM, Guest pjbrettin@yahoo.com said:

According to the current RONR, 12th edition, I do not see this within the pages of RONR.

Yes, that's because it isn't in there.

Under RONR, the presiding officer appoints the tellers. To the extent any instructions are necessary for the tellers, they would come from the assembly itself. It would be the tellers that would determine how ballots are counted, subject to the rules in RONR and any instructions on this matter from the assembly, and if the meaning is in doubt and the ballot could affect the result, the question should be submitted to the assembly.

With all that said, however, often the parliamentarian (especially in a convention) will serve as an advisor to various committees, possibly including the tellers' committee, on parliamentary matters. In the case of the tellers' committee, that may well include advice on how particular ballots should be counted, and how to prepare the tellers' report.

RONR does not assign any particular person the responsibility of printing or designing the ballots. That will be up to the organization's rules or customs. It is somewhat unusual, in my view, for such duties to be assigned to the parliamentarian. Generally, my experience is that such duties are assigned to the Secretary, to the organization's staff (if any), or to a committee responsible for handling elections.

Am I really responsible

Yes. Your organization's bylaws take precedence over Robert's Rules of Order. If the bylaws provide that the Parliamentarian is responsible for these matters, then the Parliamentarian is responsible for these matters.

Since you apparently have responsibilities in regard to ballot votes, I would suggest you review RONR (12th ed.) 45:18-41 to see what RONR says on the subject of ballot votes.

should the bylaws be revised in the future.

That's not my place to say. It is up to the organization to determine the contents of its bylaws.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.