The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion but no vote

Guest Carol Heiberger

Guest Carol Heiberger

A motion was made and seconded.  The discussion was somewhat chaotic, alternative or additional actions were suggested with some agreement.

However, there was no vote.  The meeting continued and was ultimately adjourned.

How is the motion re-entered for a vote?

On 3/5/2024 at 10:34 PM, Guest Carol Heiberger said:

A motion was made and seconded.  The discussion was somewhat chaotic, alternative or additional actions were suggested with some agreement.

However, there was no vote.  The meeting continued and was ultimately adjourned.

If I understand the facts correctly, the meeting adjourned while this motion was pending. If so, this motion will automatically come up as the first item of Unfinished Business at the next regular meeting, provided that meeting is within a quarterly interval.

(I am assuming the motion in question is not a special order or a recommendation during a board, officer, or committee report. If it is, the item will still come up during the next meeting, but under Special Orders or the report of the board, officer, or committee in question.)

On 3/5/2024 at 11:34 PM, Guest Carol Heiberger said:

If the motion was still pending when the meeting adjourned, then I agree with @Josh Martin's response above.

If not, and the meeting simply moved on to other matters, without even laying the motion on the table, then that's sloppy process.  There is no defined category for motions that simply fade out with no actual disposition of any kind.

I suppose the best course of action is to simply make the motion again at the next meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.