The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Youth organization bylaws

Guest Annie

I am in charge of a youth sports program. Long story short bylaws have not been touched since 2012. Not only have they not been amended or revised.  They’ve also not been followed. The new board made up of six members. There are no active members other than the board. The board proceeded to create modern bylaws that protect the league as a whole, as well as its participants volunteers and parents. Is this allowed? Do we need approval from anyone to do so?

The rules for amending bylaws are usually found in the bylaws—in this case, your old bylaws.   If those rules were followed, then the "modern" bylaws are valid.   But it doesn't matter how many active members you have, it matters how many members you have.  The membership, and not the board, votes on bylaws.  And I have no clue what quorum requirements you have.  

If the old bylaws have not been followed, then have the rules on amending the bylaws also not been followed?   

Based on what you've said, I could only guess what your situation is now.  It doesn't seem good.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.