The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Questions for Candidates Prior To Election

clmsntgrs

Hello:

My organization is holding elections for a couple of officers on our board.  It is my responsibility as Secretary to run the election.  In our bylaws it states that each candidate for our Director position may give a 3 minute speech prior to members casting votes.  Although not stated in our bylaws I would like to allow time for members to ask questions of the candidates after each has completed their speeches.  I've done some research and I'm not quite sure what this period for questions would be called.  Also I'm not sure how to formally make a motion to move us to this period.  Just trying to figure the correct terms to use to allow for questions, end the questions period and then move to casting ballots.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

On 4/10/2024 at 10:48 PM, clmsntgrs said:

My organization is holding elections for a couple of officers on our board.  It is my responsibility as Secretary to run the election. 

This is rather unusual, so I assume this is pursuant to your organization's rules.

In our bylaws it states that each candidate for our Director position may give a 3 minute speech prior to members casting votes.  Although not stated in our bylaws I would like to allow time for members to ask questions of the candidates after each has completed their speeches. 

Much depends upon exactly what your bylaws provide in this connection.  It may well be that they preclude any question and answer period such as this. If not, the assembly (not you individually) may adopt a rule providing for such a question and answer period.  

I've done some research and I'm not quite sure what this period for questions would be called.  Also I'm not sure how to formally make a motion to move us to this period.  Just trying to figure the correct terms to use to allow for questions, end the questions period and then move to casting ballots.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Draft a motion stating exactly what you want this rule to say and arrange for someone to make it (if you are presiding you should not do it yourself). This should be framed as a rule to be applicable during the current meeting only, which will enable the assembly to adopt it by a two-thirds vote without previous notice.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.