The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Zoom Voting

Guest Hannah

On 4/21/2024 at 4:38 PM, Guest Hannah said:

My organization frequently meets via Zoom.

Do your bylaws or applicable law authorize such meetings? Such meetings are not permitted under RONR, unless authorized by your bylaws or applicable law.

On 4/21/2024 at 4:38 PM, Guest Hannah said:

Is voting on Zoom using the Zoom poll feature equivalent to a secret ballot for in-person meetings? Does RONR address this aspect of virtual meetings?

RONR says the following on this subject. Generally, my understanding is that "yes," the Zoom poll feature satisfies the requirement for a secret ballot. (Assuming, of course, that the assembly is authorized to meet in this manner to begin with.)

"Voting by ballot (also known as secret ballot) is used when secrecy of the members' votes is desired. A ballot vote is a vote taken by instruments, such as slips of paper or electronic devices, by which members can indicate their choices without revealing how individual members have voted. On a ballot vote in an election or other vote involving multiple possible choices, members are able to write in or fill in a vote for any eligible person or choice and are not confined to voting for or against candidates that appear on the ballot." RONR (12th ed.) 45:18

On 4/21/2024 at 5:38 PM, Guest Hannah said:

My organization frequently meets via Zoom. Is voting on Zoom using the Zoom poll feature equivalent to a secret ballot for in-person meetings? Does RONR address this aspect of virtual meetings?

I will note that, absent a bylaw prohibiting them, write-in votes are permitted for the election of officers.  I am not certain if Zoom can handle that. 

On 4/22/2024 at 11:11 AM, J. J. said:

I will note that, absent a bylaw prohibiting them, write-in votes are permitted for the election of officers.  I am not certain if Zoom can handle that. 

I don't believe it can. So if this was used for an election, I think you'd need either need to use an external voting platform or adopt some special rules of order for a workaround (e.g. provide a general "write-in" option, and then provide some mechanism for handling the situation where "write-in" wins, similar to what I believe was used at NAP conventions when the previous electronic voting system was used).

On 4/22/2024 at 5:29 PM, laser158689 said:

I think you would also need to ensure that only certain folks can participate in the Zoom poll, if the zoom is open to the public.  

No facts have been presented at this time suggesting the Zoom is open to the public.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.