The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is the nomination committee sworn in with the new executive administration?

Guest Lynnette

You asked “Is the nomination committee sworn in with the new executive administration?”

Normally, this would not be the case because the nominating committee is usually appointed or elected later in the year prior to the next elections and members of committees are not normally “sworn in“. What do your bylaw say about the nominating committee? When, how, and by whom is it selected? is swearing out of other committee members or customary in your organization? 

On 4/25/2024 at 9:47 AM, Guest Lynnette said:

Is the nomination committee sworn in with the new executive administration?

Well, as to the "swearing in" itself, you will have to look to your own rules and customs on that question. RONR does not require anyone to be "sworn in," and any such "swearing in" is purely ceremonial.

"An officer-elect takes possession of his office immediately upon his election's becoming final, unless the bylaws or other rules specify a later time (see 56:27). If a formal installation ceremony is prescribed, failure to hold it does not affect the time at which the new officers assume office." RONR (12th ed.) 46:47

But I think what you may be asking is "Do the newly elected members of the nominating committee take office at the same time as the newly elected officers?"

Generally, provided that the officers and the members of the nominating committee are elected at the same time, then I would say "Yes." Ultimately, however, I think you will need to look to your own bylaws to answer this question.

On 4/25/2024 at 9:54 AM, Richard Brown said:

Normally, this would not be the case because the nominating committee is usually appointed or elected later in the year prior to the next elections

I'm not entirely certain on this. I think the time at which the Nominating Committee is appointed or elected will vary from society to society. In some organizations, the Nominating Committee is elected at the same time as officers. This may be done if, for example, the membership only meets annually, and the organization prefers to have this committee elected by the membership rather than delegating this authority to the board.

Edited by Josh Martin

I agree with Mr. Martin that the nominating committee technically can be selected at any time and the date or timing is usually determined by the organization’s bylaws or custom. However, it has been my experience that the vast majority of groups that I work with select their nominating committees later in the year, not at the same time that the officers are elected or take office. Perhaps Mr. Martin‘s experience is different. I thought my original answer made that point, but perhaps it wasn’t as clear as I thought.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.