The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What to do If Robert's Rules Are Not Being Followed

Guest John Smith

I am very new to this so I apologize if I am not using the correct terminology or I am out of touch. Trying to learn more about Robert's Rules brought me here. I am a member of a volunteer fire department. Our general meetings and company business are supposed to be run according to Robert's Rules. At a regular meeting, our general membership voted to purchase a fire engine. The vote was passed almost unanimously, with 2 people voting against it (the president and treasurer). Despite the vote passing, we were told by the president the apparatus would not be purchased because they do not feel it is needed. Keep in mind here that funds are not an issue. My question for the group is, what can be done about this situation? If someone in a position of power blatantly refuses to listen or accept a majority vote, what recourse do we have?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks 

On 5/8/2024 at 10:32 AM, Guest John Smith said:

what can be done about this situation?

Look at your bylaws for the process to remove the president. You can also vote to censure him. You'll want to look at the bylaws for a process to call a special meeting to do either of these.

Edited by rulesasker

I agree with the above answer as a matter of parliamentary authority. I'd add that, in addition to looking for more obvious language in your bylaws, you might look for term of office.

That said, this is one of the difficulties in running a fire department on a RONR model. Is the president the chief? If so, there may be non-parliamentary obstacles to removal, regardless of what your bylaws say. In addition, there may be value in allowing chiefs to have say about the purchase of apparatus. I think the volunteer FD/RONR department model is a dangerous one, personally. (After having spent several years as parliamentarian of such an organization.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.