The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of Officers

Jim Anderson

What is the remedy for failing to hold the election of Officers at the bylaw specified meeting?

Bylaw: Section 2     The election of Officers shall be held at the regular May meeting of the Club.

My organization held it's regular May 2024 meeting last night (05/08/2024) however the election of Officers for the next fiscal year was missed and the election did not occur.

Installation of the new Officers is to take place at the regular June meeting (next month).

We could call for a Special Meeting to accomplish the election however at this point, it would not comply with the bylaw stated above.

On 5/9/2024 at 11:48 AM, Jim Anderson said:

What is the remedy for failing to hold the election of Officers at the bylaw specified meeting?

Bylaw: Section 2     The election of Officers shall be held at the regular May meeting of the Club.

My organization held it's regular May 2024 meeting last night (05/08/2024) however the election of Officers for the next fiscal year was missed and the election did not occur.

Installation of the new Officers is to take place at the regular June meeting (next month).

We could call for a Special Meeting to accomplish the election however at this point, it would not comply with the bylaw stated above.

The remedy is to hold the Elections as soon as possible. If the organization has frequent regular meetings, such as monthly, it can and should be done at the next meeting. It can also be done at a special meeting. That would not violate any rule in RONR and would instead comply with RONR

On 5/9/2024 at 1:14 PM, Richard Brown said:

Well, it would comply with the bylaw to a greater degree than not holding the election.

The election should be held as soon as possible.  "Installation" ceremonies are merely <wait for it> ceremonial, so first concentrate on getting people properly elected.

On 5/9/2024 at 12:57 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Richard Brown said:

I believe (actually, I'm rather certain!) that it was the original poster, not I, who said that!!!  Perhaps the "quote" feature isn't working properly!  I actually agree with you that holding the elections ASAP would come much closer to complying with the bylaws than to not hold the elections at all. 

Hold the election as soon as possible, either at the next regular meeting or (preferably) at a special meeting called for the purpose.

No, it wouldn't, but at this point there is no manner in which to fully comply with the bylaw stated above short of a time machine.

I am inclined to think holding the elections late violates the bylaws less than not holding them at all. :)

On 5/11/2024 at 7:23 AM, Josh Martin said:

I am inclined to think holding the elections late violates the bylaws less than not holding them at all. :)

That’s only an inclination? 😀
But, yes, I absolutely agree!

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last sentence

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.