The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Rules/Board Policies

Tomm

I would say that even though our organization refers to its Standing Rules as Board Policies, which every Member is obligated to adhere too, and considering the Members can amend the bylaws, where would Board Policies fall into the mix?

Would Board Policies/Standing Rules fall under the same category of "Bylaws"? They are after all corporate documents!

Should the Members also be allowed to amend them or would only the Board be allowed to amend Board Policies?

Who..... which body.... created these "board policies"?  The board or the membership?

It is unlikely that these "board policies" are bylaws or even in the nature of bylaws, but we need more information to be sure.  Are they included in your bylaws, or are they a separate document, even though it may be appended to the bylaws?

On 5/11/2024 at 12:22 PM, Tomm said:

I would say that even though our organization refers to its Standing Rules as Board Policies, which every Member is obligated to adhere too, and considering the Members can amend the bylaws, where would Board Policies fall into the mix?

I'm not sure I understand the question. You yourself have described these board policies as "standing rules." It seems to me you have answered your own question.

Would Board Policies/Standing Rules fall under the same category of "Bylaws"?

No.

Should the Members also be allowed to amend them or would only the Board be allowed to amend Board Policies?

I suppose you will have to look to what your own bylaws say on this subject, as your bylaws seem to have customized rules on this matter.

On 5/11/2024 at 3:45 PM, Tomm said:

Being called Board Policies instead of Standing Rules I suppose they would not be considered part of the bylaws?

I guess I just answered my own question!

I think so, but to be clear, even if they were called Standing Rules, they still would not be part of the bylaws. Only the bylaws are part of the bylaws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.