The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Exact protocol

Guest Chris H

Is this at a meeting of the Board or of the General Membership? If it is at a Board meeting the reading and approval of the minutes is one of the first (if not the first) items of business on the Standard Order of Business (RONR p. 25) so they should be "

The general membership is wondering what was done in executive session and would like a report.

The minutes of both the general and board meetings are published but then approved (or corrected) at the general meetings. At our next membership mee"

I stated that poorly. Let me try again.

Each month, the minutes of the previous general meeting and the board meeting (if one has occurred) are published in the monthly newsletter. The minutes are then corrected (or approved as mailed) at each "

As I noted before per RONR p. 470 the membership can order the minutes of the Board meeting read whether the Board was in Executive Session or not. If the membership just wants to find out why the Board went into Executive Session you can ask them (durin"

WE have a copy of the board minutes because it was mailed to us. But it ONLY says that the board went into Executive session and for how long.

The board minutes will be voted for approval or correction at the next board meeting.

There i"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

There are no board minutes until they're approved at the next board meeting. All there is now is the secretary's draft and she doesn't have to show that to anyone.

So I'm afraid you'll have to wait. But that'll give you time to brush up on the ru"

">>If the membership just wants to find out why the Board went into Executive Session you can ask them<<

No you can't.

Them is not the board."

So you are saying that there is no way to ask the Board a quest"

<<All there is now is the secretary's draft and she doesn't have to show that to anyone.>>

But it's already been published so it's a known fact that the board went into executive session....regardless of whether or not those minutes h"

At a meeting of the general membership assembly, any member of the society can move that the secretary of the executive board read the minutes taken at the executive session of the board, whether those minutes stand approved or not. The motion must be mad"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>any member of the society can move that the secretary of the executive board read the minutes taken at the executive session of the board, whether those minutes stand approved or not<<

Oh, Mr. Elsman!"

I am also curious about Mr. Elsman's response.

> At a meeting of the general membership assembly, any member of the society can move that the secretary of the executive board read the minutes taken at the executive session of the board, whethe"

Mr. Elsman, or anyone else who cares to comment?

> ...any member of the society can move that the secretary of the executive board read the minutes taken at the executive session of the board, whether those minutes stand approved or not. <<"

Amusing, yes... somehow I don't feel better informed, though, after reading this response.

Is the situation more analogous to the assembly ordering a member to do something, or to explain an action? In other words, only peripherally related to th"

"To take a specific example, would an order to the secretary to read his/her raw notes to the assembly really be proper?"

Yes. It is not uncommon for a member to make a request that a portion of the minutes of the ongoing meeting be rea"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

But we're not talking about an ongoing meeting, we're talking about the general membership ordering the reading of board meeting minutes and your position that that right extends to unapproved minutes (aka the secretary's notes and/or draft)."

The general membership assembly, retaining for itself all powers not otherwise exclusively delegated, has the power to order up and have read any paper or document that is owned by the society, in whatever form, in whomever's possession, whether approved,"

> The general membership assembly, retaining for itself all powers not otherwise exclusively delegated, has the power to order up and have read any paper or document that is owned by the society... <

So, are my notes as secretary owned by t"

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

RE,

>>The general membership assembly, retaining for itself all powers not otherwise exclusively delegated, has the power to order up and have read any paper or document that is owned by the society, in whatever form, in whomever's possession, w"

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

See page 344.

>>On the other hand, the minutes do not become the minutes and assume their essential status as the official record of the proceedings of the society until they have been approved; and before this happens, the secretary’"

> Ask a lawyer. <

Well, I'm not sure why I'm the one being sent off to hire the hypothetical attorney.

> The general membership assembly, retaining for itself all powers not otherwise exclusively delegated, has the power to orde"

Archived