The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Exact protocol

Guest Chris H

> At a meeting of the general membership assembly, any member of the society can move that the secretary of the executive board read the minutes taken at the executive session of the board, whether those minutes stand approved or not...... See RONR (10"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

Some people have a hard time admitting they made a mistake.

In some circles it's known as the doctrine of infallibility.

There's probably a Latin phrase for it but I can only think of one and, unfortunately, it's scatological, not eschat"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

The request for corrections assumes the secretary has formally submitted her draft and, at that point, you could argue that they became the property of the association.

But to extend that backwards to the hours after the meeting in question, when"

I think it's clear that the general membership has the right to order a subordinate board to give a report of its activities during the executive session, in whatever form is possible - minutes, draft minutes, or just an oral report summarizing the decisi"

Guest H.Wm.Mountcastle

>>I think it's clear that the general membership has the right to order a subordinate board to give a report of its activities during the executive session, in whatever form is possible<<

And this absurd view is based on . . . ?"

>>And this absurd view is based on . . . ?<<

"except in matters placed by the Bylaws exclusively under the control of the board, the society's assembly can give the board instructions which it must carry out" (RONR, 10th ed."

What about the more precise definition of "THE minutes", p. 344 ll. 6-11, previously quoted by KG?

Surely the fictional chair, speaking on p. 343, is more likely abbreviating for convenience? Saying 'minutes' rather than 'draft minutes'"

> I think the "absurd view" is the one that suggests that a subordinate board can hide its activities from the superior assembly simply because minutes have not yet been approved. <

This makes sense to me, and thanks for mentionin"

Guest Kim Goldsworthy

John M,

>>Suggesting that the board can hide its activities from the general membership simply because the minutes are not yet approved sounds like a . . . [Ch. XX matter]. <<

kg: To quote the phrase coined by HWM, "you don't"

Guest Shmuel Gerber

When Kim Goldsworthy and H.W. Mountcastle agree with each other, in the face of opposition from Rob Elsman and John M., it is an interesting situation. :-)

I agree with the former two. If there are no minutes yet, then how can they be ordered rea"

>>Also, the further claim was made that these other documents (including the secretary's raw notes) are the property of the society.<<

Yes, Mr. Elsman is on his own there.

>>As a practical example, if approved minutes d"

Archived