The Official RONR Q & A Forums

The reading of the minutes

Guest Katherine

If one member moves to waive the reading of the minutes at the same time that another member requests the reading of same, may the matter be put to a vote? (And, just in case it matters: the motion to waive was seconded; the request for the reading of the minutes was not.)

If one member moves to waive the reading of the minutes at the same time that another member requests the reading of same, may the matter be put to a vote? (And, just in case it matters: the motion to waive was seconded; the request for the reading of the minutes was not.)

I'm not quite following, because I don't see how these two would be both pending at the same time. However, since reading the minutes is required when a single member wants it, that requirement would supersede the proposal to waive the reading. ON the other hand, if waiving the reading were put to a vote, and nobody, not even the one who requested the reading, voted against it, then the waiving would be a done deal.

I'm not quite following, because I don't see how these two would be both pending at the same time. However, since reading the minutes is required when a single member wants it, that requirement would supersede the proposal to waive the reading. ON the other hand, if waiving the reading were put to a vote, and nobody, not even the one who requested the reading, voted against it, then the waiving would be a done deal.

Thank you. They were pending at the same time because they spoke at the same time (our membership do not believe in waiting to be recognized by the chairman - I keep trying, but I'm not the one with the gavel). However, if the minutes do have to be read even when only a single (pain-in-the-a$$) member wants it, well, I guess that is that, at least as far as our annual meetings of the membership go.

However, as a further wrinkle, what if this member (who is NOT a Board Member) attends the next Board meeting - can he insist that we read the minutes of the previous Board meeting as well? My fervent hope is that only a Board Member can make that request at a Board Meeting.

Thank you. They were pending at the same time because they spoke at the same time (our membership do not believe in waiting to be recognized by the chairman - I keep trying, but I'm not the one with the gavel). However, if the minutes do have to be read even when only a single (pain-in-the-a$$) member wants it, well, I guess that is that, at least as far as our annual meetings of the membership go.

However, as a further wrinkle, what if this member (who is NOT a Board Member) attends the next Board meeting - can he insist that we read the minutes of the previous Board meeting as well? My fervent hope is that only a Board Member can make that request at a Board Meeting.

YOu're welcome.

Unless your organization's customized rules say otherwise, non-board members have no rights at a board meeting. Not to attend. If allowed by the board to attend, not to speak. If allowed by the board to speak, not to demand. If allowed by the board to demand, well, then the board has elected itself its emperor.

(That doesn't happen often. Probably a violation of the bylaws anyway. Unless they really like him a lot.)

INcidentally, the minutes of an annual meeting should never be left for approval to the next annual meeting. If the membership does not meet within another three months or so, the board or a committee should be assigned to approve the minutes.

[Edited to insert politeness.]

[And typo.]

However, if the minutes do have to be read even when only a single (pain-in-the-a$) member wants it, well, I guess that is that, at least as far as our annual meetings of the membership go.

INcidentally, the minutes of an annual meeting should never be left for approval to the next annual meeting. If the membership does not meet within another three months or so, the board or a committee should be assigned to approve the minutes.

If you follow Mr. Tesser's advice on this, you won't have to worry about this problem anymore. The right for a single member to demand the reading of the minutes applies only when the minutes are pending for approval. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 457, lines 11-12; pg. 287, lines 10-14) It will probably improve the accuracy of the minutes as well. It is unwise to wait for a year to approve the minutes, as most people have trouble remembering what happened at the meeting after that long.

• 2 weeks later...

If you follow Mr. Tesser's advice on this, you won't have to worry about this problem anymore. The right for a single member to demand the reading of the minutes applies only when the minutes are pending for approval. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 457, lines 11-12; pg. 287, lines 10-14) It will probably improve the accuracy of the minutes as well. It is unwise to wait for a year to approve the minutes, as most people have trouble remembering what happened at the meeting after that long.

Archived