The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescind motion

Guest macallan

I belong to a Non Profit organisation and missed the last two board meetings. At The last meeting a motion was passed with respect to the reporting structure within the organisation. I disagree with this action, with I think valid reasons, which I am willing to share with the Board. How do I go about rescinding the motion?

You, individually, don't rescind anything (unless the bylaws grant you some very unusual powers); however, the assembly can often rescind a previously adopted motion. A member (presumably you) can make a motion to rescind, and you can then share your 'valid reasons' during the course of debate on the motion. Rescind takes a higher vote margin than a plain-vanilla motion -- majority vote with notice OR two-thirds vote without notice OR majority vote of the entire membership.

Actions which have been fully carried out cannot be rescinded (it doesn't sound like that would be the case in this situation, but that's for the organization to determine).

See RONR pp. 293-299 for much more information about the motion to rescind.

edited: Mr. Stackpole is right, of course, to ask if you are actually a member of the board; I assumed you were, but now realize that your original post doesn't actually say that...

Archived