The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amendments to Bylaws

terri

If an amendment to bylaws was submitted and then withdrawn, can the same amendment be reinstated by another entity/person prior or during the House of Delegates (where and when voting occurs)?

Yes, provided proper notice is given and any other requirements in your amendment process are followed.

90 days is required to put an amendment before the House. The original Amendment was filed timely. However, they have now withdrawn it but others would like to debate and vote on the Amendment. Typically, the announcement of withdrawn amendments are made in the House at the time of presentation of the amendment. At that time, can someone move that the motion be reinstated?

You earlier stated "it would appear that the purported withdrawal occurred at a time when it would be too late for it to be renewed, and thus is ineffective (RONR, 10th ed., p. 281, l. 20-24; p. 285. l. 25-29)." Did I misinterpret?

Well, I said the withdrawal of notice appears to be ineffective, which means you don't need any further notice in order to move the amendment.

Is that any clearer?

The only rule we have is a Parliamentarian that doesn't want this Amendment on the floor.

If he's going to let that influence his interpretation of the rules, you need a new parliamentarian. In the meantime, just remember that the parliamentarian is only an adviser to the chair, and that the chair's rulings may be appealed, and you'll be fine.

It would appear that the purported withdrawal occurred at a time when it would be too late for it to be renewed, and thus is ineffective (RONR, 10th ed., p. 281, l. 20-24; p. 285. l. 25-29).

The Amendment was withdrawn by the sponsor. We want to reinstate it. How do we do that?

The only rule we have is a Parliamentarian that doesn't want this Amendment on the floor.

If he's going to let that influence his interpretation of the rules, you need a new parliamentarian. In the meantime, just remember that the parliamentarian is only an adviser to the chair, and that the chair's rulings may be appealed, and you'll be fine.

In practical terms, though, it may be hard for Terri and friends to convince the assembly that it's fine to consider the amendment after all (as the original sponsor jumps up to say he withdrew 'his' amendment, and the parliamentarian chimes in to support that position). People tend to assume that motions and amendments are the property of the motion-maker, even when that isn't true parliamentarily. Mr. Honemann's citation, apropos as it is, is likely to have members shaking their heads in confusion with the 'too late to be renewed' reference. The people who want to bring the amendment before the assembly should really do some advance planning and education -- so that there are enough members to get an appeal underway if the chair rules against consideration of the amendment.

It seems to me, if you accept the notion that it's "too late" - then anyone could effectively prevent any amendments from being considered simply by proposing them first - and then withdrawing them after it's "too late" to give proper notice. True?

In practical terms, though, it may be hard for Terri and friends to convince the assembly that it's fine to consider the amendment after all (as the original sponsor jumps up to say he withdrew 'his' amendment, and the parliamentarian chimes in to support that position). People tend to assume that motions and amendments are the property of the motion-maker, even when that isn't true parliamentarily. Mr. Honemann's citation, apropos as it is, is likely to have members shaking their heads in confusion with the 'too late to be renewed' reference. The people who want to bring the amendment before the assembly should really do some advance planning and education -- so that there are enough members to get an appeal underway if the chair rules against consideration of the amendment.

But keep in mind that someone has to move adoption of the amendment, and if and when Terri does that, it's her amendment.

The only point being made in this thread is that, based solely upon what we have been told, the notice already given will suffice to enable Terri to move adoption of the amendment if its original sponsors do not.

It seems to me, if you accept the notion that it's "too late" - then anyone could effectively prevent any amendments from being considered simply by proposing them first - and then withdrawing them after it's "too late" to give proper notice. True?

Yes, which is why the rule Mr. Honemann cited exists.

Thanks for all the input. We are going to proceed as advised. I will do research on the appeal process. If anyone knows a good parliamentarian in the Reno, NV area, please let me know. Thanks again!

Both the National Association of Parliamentarians and American Institute of Parliamentarians provide referral services. You could check with either (or both).

http://parliamentari.../instantprp.php

http://www.aipparl.o...amentarian.html

So far as I can determine, the closest PRPs to Reno are in Sacramento, California. Professional parliamentarians are often used to traveling, however, so I wouldn't be too concerned about proximity.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived