The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Restaurant in club

Guest scoobymom2000@yahoo.com

There are two aspects to the answer. First, a member cannot be ejected or excluded from a meeting unless the assembly through disciplinary proceedings order it (RONR pp. 625-628). Whether you can exclude a person from a private business is a legal question which must be directed to a lawyer.

I currently run a restaurant in a private a club.

If a member is disruptive do I have the right to refuse service to them?

You mean, you are the owner, or the manager, or an employee, of this restaurant?

Q.1. Are you asking a question about civil law, criminal law, labor law, property rights?

Q.2. Are you asking a question about parliamentary procedure, about Robert's Rules of Order, about making motions and voting?

We cannot answer questions like #Q.1.

We can answer questions about #Q.2.

If your bylaws already cover rules for your restaurant, then I would first suggest to look to your bylaws for a possible answer. - Maybe a policy, a standing rule, or similar rule, has been adopted to cover this scenario.

You won't find anything in Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th ed.) implying "Restaurant employees must do X and Y, and cannot do P and Q."

Guest scoobymom2000@yahoo.com

I am the owner of the business and lease the restaurant inside the club i have read the bylaws and the constitution also my contract it states nothing about refusing service.

You mean, you are the owner, or the manager, or an employee, of this restaurant?

Q.1. Are you asking a question about civil law, criminal law, labor law, property rights?

Q.2. Are you asking a question about parliamentary procedure, about Robert's Rules of Order, about making motions and voting?

We cannot answer questions like #Q.1.

We can answer questions about #Q.2.

If your bylaws already cover rules for your restaurant, then I would first suggest to look to your bylaws for a possible answer. - Maybe a policy, a standing rule, or similar rule, has been adopted to cover this scenario.

You won't find anything in Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th ed.) implying "Restaurant employees must do X and Y, and cannot do P and Q."

... I have read the bylaws and the constitution also my contract;

it states nothing about refusing service.

Okay.

Then what do you want to know about parliamentary procedure, about Robert's Rules of Order?

There are no "rules or restaurants" inside the 700+ pages of RONR.

There are no "rules for leasing" inside RONR.

There are no "rules for waiters/waitresses" inside RONR.

There is no answer to the question, "Can a restaurant owner refuse to serve a patron?" inside RONR.

... any more than there would be an answer to "Can the owner of a Buick park his car on a skeet shooting course?"

It isn't in the nature of a rule of order.

Archived