The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proper Procedure

Guest Matt Rocco

During a recent board meeting, the board voted to approve the recommendation of the superindendant to hire a CFO. This meeting occurred less than one week ago. Since the meeting, information has come forward from those involved with the selection process that brings into question the conduct of the superindendant as well as the intergrity of the selection process and his recommendation.

here is a special meeting scheduled for this evening to discuss a unrelated topic.

How can I properly move to reconsider the vote that occurred last Thursday?

How can I properly request a special meeting to to scheduled ASAP to review the enite process including the conduct of the superindendant?

Please advice,

Matt

here is a special meeting scheduled for this evening to discuss a unrelated topic.

You can't tonight since only business included in the call of the meeting can be validly conducted (RONR p. 90).

How can I properly request a special meeting to to scheduled ASAP to review the enite process including the conduct of the superindendant?

You will need to look to your bylaws for that answer.

Firstly, Special Meetings are only allowed if the bylaws authorize them. Within those bylaws on the topic, it should be stated who can call one, as well as the proper notice requirements. For example, you might see "Special Meetings may be called by the President, the Board of Directors, or by any five members in good standing." So check your bylaws and see 1) if Special Meetings are even authorized, 2) and how they can be called. You may need a few friends in the membership to get on board (pun intended), unless of course you are the President and are thus authorized to do so.

Please advice,

Matt

The proper tool would be a motion to rescind, or amend something previously adopted. This motion requires majority vote with notice OR two-thirds vote without notice OR majority vote of the entire membership (that refers to the entire membership of the body that is voting -- in your case, the board). See RONR pp. 293-299 for more information.

If you can get a special meeting organized to deal with the issue (and other posters have already directed you to information about special meetings), the call to the meeting could include notice of the intended motion.

Since your organization is already holding another special meeting this evening, presumably the bylaws allow special meetings (one hopes), but you need to check the bylaws for the details of how such a meeting is to be initiated.

Thank you all for you help, it has been very beneficial. I have researched our local bylaws, a special meeting can be called if requested by two members of the board. That is the direction I will go.

Question - can the request for a special meeting be made during the meeting this evening?

Question - can the request for a special meeting be made during the meeting this evening?

I see no reason why the request needs to be made at a meeting at all. I would think you'd just have to submit the request to the president/chairman of the board, and/or the secretary, so the call can be issued.

On other comment .... the item that was deliberated on and voted on this past Thursday was not even included on the agenda. Legal local policy states, " ... notice of those subjects must be worded with such clarity that the public will understand what the Board proposes to discuss or accomplish."

I tried to prevent the discussion on Thursday but was overruled by the board president.

Advice on how to address this?

I tried to prevent the discussion on Thursday but was overruled by the board president.

Advice on how to address this?

For future reference, the ruling of the chair can be appealed and the assembly (in this case the board members present) gets to decide who's "right". If a majority of the board wishes to disregard the rules (assuming that's what would have happened), you'd have to take your case to a higher authority (i.e. the general membership). Note that most violations of the rules need to be contested when they occur. But others are so serious that they constitute what's called a "continuing breach" (of the rules) and, for these, there's no time limit for raising a point of order.

Archived