The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who assumed Financial Secretaries duties

Guest Heather Kay

If it is an elected office, elect one.

But check for any mid-term vacancy-filling provisions. It may be, for example, that the board (if there is one), or the president, is authorized to appoint a replacement (until the next election or until the term expires). The fact that the office is an elected one does not rule out this possibility.

As for the same person holding more than one office, nothing in RONR prohibits it (but, again, check your bylaws).

And while you are at it, check the By-laws about the duties of the Financial Secretary - it is a position that I have never heard of. Usually financial issues will be dealt with by the Treasurer and I have heard of people acting as a Secretary-Treasurer (i.e. holding both offices at the same time), so it may be that the duties and responsibilities of the "Financial Secretary" may be moved to the Treasurer.

However, the By-laws will tell you if this is an elected position, how to fill a vacancy between elections, adn what exactly this position is responsible for.

And while you are at it, check the By-laws about the duties of the Financial Secretary - it is a position that I have never heard of. Usually financial issues will be dealt with by the Treasurer and I have heard of people acting as a Secretary-Treasurer (i.e. holding both offices at the same time), so it may be that the duties and responsibilities of the "Financial Secretary" may be moved to the Treasurer.

However, the By-laws will tell you if this is an elected position, how to fill a vacancy between elections, adn what exactly this position is responsible for.

What is a "Financial Secretary"?? Never heard of it.

Archived