The Official RONR Q & A Forums

main topic

Guest sammy

we recently held a meeting where the main topic was not listed on the agenda, it was brought up under new business. The topic was voting on changing our bylaws. In the letter for call to meeting, it did say that we were going to discuss the changes and vote on the changes. however befor this State meeting, an executive board meeting wwas held to discuss these changes, but they were postponed indefinitly. any changes to our bylaws need to pass by a2/3 vote at the executive board level before they can be brought up at out state meeting.I feel that it was wrong that they were brought up at this meeting, but my main question, how can you discuss the main topic when it does not appear on the agenda? It was not an oversight, it was done on purpose, otherwise we were blindsided.

...my main question, how can you discuss the main topic when it does not appear on the agenda?

No rule in RONR requires that all business be posted on an agenda prior to a regular meeting. (At a special meeting, only business disclosed in the call for the meeting can be handled.)

However, in most cases, amendments ot the bylaws require both notice and a 2/3 vote for approval. Your organization apparently has special rules so you should consult your bylaws for those rules.

Sorry but the rule for regular meetings is 'you snooze, you lose."

-Bob

No rule in RONR requires that all business be posted on an agenda prior to a regular meeting. (At a special meeting, only business disclosed in the call for the meeting can be handled.)

However, in most cases, amendments ot the bylaws require both notice and a 2/3 vote for approval. Your organization apparently has special rules so you should consult your bylaws for those rules.

Sorry but the rule for regular meetings is 'you snooze, you lose."

-Bob

our bylaws state that all bylaw changes must be passed by the executive board with a 2/3 voyes and then it came come beofe the stat for voting. the executive board postponed indefinitly, so therefore it shoud not of been brought the state meeting.

our bylaws state that all bylaw changes must be passed by the executive board with a 2/3 voyes and then it came come beofe the stat for voting. the executive board postponed indefinitly, so therefore it shoud not of been brought the state meeting.

Did anyone raise a point of order at the time, that the bylaws changes were not in order?

we recently held a meeting where the main topic was not listed on the agenda, it was brought up under new business.

There's not really a main topic in a regular meeting. Most anything can be brought up under new business, and it carries as much weight as any other business.

Also, specific motions need not be on the agenda to be made.

The topic was voting on changing our bylaws. In the letter for call to meeting, it did say that we were going to discuss the changes and vote on the changes.

Bylaw amendments should be taken up under Unfinished Business and General Orders. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 578, l. 8-10.

however befor this State meeting, an executive board meeting wwas held to discuss these changes, but they were postponed indefinitly. any changes to our bylaws need to pass by a2/3 vote at the executive board level before they can be brought up at out state meeting.

Oh, well that changes things; doesn't it?

I feel that it was wrong that they were brought up at this meeting, but my main question, how can you discuss the main topic when it does not appear on the agenda?

Through any number of methods. You apparently found one known as "introducing new business during New Business." It seems above board.

It was not an oversight, it was done on purpose, otherwise we were blindsided.

Blindsided by new business coming up under new business? You'll need to be prepared for little surprises like that. ;) Also, I thought you had notice of this. It sure doesn't take much to blindside you.

Archived