The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Table Amendments to By-laws and Constitution

Guest Neil Lauritsen

We have a set of proposed amendments to the By-Laws and Constitution which would eliminate the club members from electing it's club officers and allows the Board of Directors to appoint the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer. I want to make a Motion to Table until after the upcoming election. I am not a candidate for office and I have no candidate I support more than others. In fact except for electing a new President,(the current President is not running again but would be a member of the BOD and authored the new by-laws) the other offices will be filled by the current officers and are running unopposed. what is required for my motion to stand? Does a motion to table require a second and is there any discussion allowed? Does the body vote on the Motion or is it simply a matter which requires the motion to take precedence and the subject of the motion is automatically tabled? Can a specific time table be part of the motion, for instance Motion to Table until after the election takes place so that further detailed discussion can then take place

We have a set of proposed amendments to the By-Laws and Constitution which would eliminate the club members from electing it's club officers and allows the Board of Directors to appoint the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer. I want to make a Motion to Table until after the upcoming election. I am not a candidate for office and I have no candidate I support more than others. In fact except for electing a new President,(the current President is not running again but would be a member of the BOD and authored the new by-laws) the other offices will be filled by the current officers and are running unopposed. what is required for my motion to stand? Does a motion to table require a second and is there any discussion allowed? Does the body vote on the Motion or is it simply a matter which requires the motion to take precedence and the subject of the motion is automatically tabled? Can a specific time table be part of the motion, for instance Motion to Table until after the election takes place so that further detailed discussion can then take place

You want a motion to postpone to a certain time and not a motion to table. It takes a majority vote to adopt. You can set the time by an event taking place or to a specific time..

what is required for my motion to stand? Does a motion to table require a second and is there any discussion allowed? Does the body vote on the Motion or is it simply a matter which requires the motion to take precedence and the subject of the motion is automatically tabled? Can a specific time table be part of the motion, for instance Motion to Table until after the election takes place so that further detailed discussion can then take place

The proper motion is the motion to Postpone to a Certain Time. The motion requires a second, is amendable and debatable, and requires a majority vote for adoption. The motion to Postpone to a Certain Time may specify an event, however, there are time limits involved with the motion. When is the upcoming election, and are there any meetings between the upcoming meeting and the election meeting?

Archived