The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote by Email

Guest Charles Meyer

I tried, unsuccessfully, to stop the process for a numbers of reasons; a) we have no process defined for an email vote. B) Our regular scheduled meeting was in five days and we could decide then (so it was not an emergency c) there is no ability for debate or discussion via email.

What do I do now? How do I bring this invalid action? Is there a term, or definition that I can use to describe this violation?

Charles

I tried, unsuccessfully, to stop the process for a numbers of reasons; a) we have no process defined for an email vote. B ) Our regular scheduled meeting was in five days and we could decide then (so it was not an emergency c) there is no ability for debate or discussion via email.

What do I do now? How do I bring this invalid action? Is there a term, or definition that I can use to describe this violation?

Charles

If your bylaws don't authorize e-mail voting, it can't be done. So, there was no valid vote and no valid action taken. The meeting (in five days) would be a good place to settle this with the members. I would suggest sending e-mails to all members explaining your position and your intention to bring the motion before the assembly at the meeting for a legitimate vote (if that is your intention). If action has been taken on this issue, the action could be ratified by the assembly at the meeting.

Is there a term, or definition that I can use to describe this violation?

What you want to do is make (or raise) a Point of Order to the effect that your bylaws do not permit absentee voting (e.g. by e-mail) and RONR (presumably your parliamentary authority) prohibits it. The chair will rule on your point of order and the ruling can be appealed. The assembly (the members present) will decide who's "right".

What you want to do is make (or raise) a Point of Order to the effect that your bylaws do not permit absentee voting (e.g. by e-mail) and RONR (presumably your parliamentary authority) prohibits it. The chair will rule on your point of order and the ruling can be appealed. The assembly (the members present) will decide who's "right".

And after that, the courts.

Archived