The Official RONR Q & A Forums

A Forum for Parliamentary Questions beyond RONR

A few months ago, I ventured into the world of parliamentary law and the procedures used to run meetings. I picked up a copy of RONR and RONR in Brief. It took me a while, but I finally made it all the way through RONR, and I'm working on the first nine sections again. I discovered this forum, which has been a helpful learning experience and sometimes entertaining. Every now and then, I have chosen to participate.

One of the things that is somewhat frustrating is the lack of willingness to discuss ideas and procedures that clearly relate to the concepts of parliamentary law, but are not exactly what RONR prescribes. I'm a member and a director of an organization that is subject to a host of rules that supersede RONR, and I will soon be involved in amending some of these rules and the bylaws to remove ambiguities and to help the organization run more smoothly. And I'd really like to bounce ideas off of the folks here, who are quite knowledgeable and whose opinions I value. But since it's outside of the gated community of RONR, this isn't the correct forum for those sorts of questions.

So my questions to you now are these: Are there forums where I can ask questions about bylaws, rules of order, and the application of parliamentary law to our unique organizational circumstances? Perhaps a forum whose contributors are some of the same people who frequent this forum?

I know that there are professional parliamentarians out there, and we will likely be speaking to one at some point. But I'm a hands-on kind of guy and would like to understand these things myself, too. So a forum similar to this one would be great.

Thanks!

So my questions to you now are these: Are there forums where I can ask questions about bylaws, rules of order, and the application of parliamentary law to our unique organizational circumstances? Perhaps a forum whose contributors are some of the same people who frequent this forum?

You should take a look at Mr. Foulkes' signature.

I dare not say more for fear of the Wrathful One.

Also, some regulars (such as myself) have their e-mails available on the forum and have too much time on their hands, apparently. I've often continued a discussion with Trina, for instance, via e-mail after it got the axe on the forum.

A few months ago, I ventured into the world of parliamentary law and the procedures used to run meetings. I picked up a copy of RONR and RONR in Brief. It took me a while, but I finally made it all the way through RONR, and I'm working on the first nine sections again. I discovered this forum, which has been a helpful learning experience and sometimes entertaining. Every now and then, I have chosen to participate.

Your participation and contributions are very much appreciated.

One of the things that is somewhat frustrating is the lack of willingness to discuss ideas and procedures that clearly relate to the concepts of parliamentary law, but are not exactly what RONR prescribes.

Well, the best we can do (since it is the only thing in which we have any real interest) is to discuss rules of parliamentary procedure in deliberative assemblies. If the organization with which you are involved conducts its business in meetings of this nature, I do not think you will find many situations "outside of the gated community of RONR."

Your participation and contributions are very much appreciated.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was safe for someone new to do more than ask questions, but I've been able to give a few answers when I'm relatively confident.

Well, the best we can do (since it is the only thing in which we have any real interest) is to discuss rules of parliamentary procedure in deliberative assemblies. If the organization with which you are involved conducts its business in meetings of this nature, I do not think you will find many situations "outside of the gated community of RONR."

We are a deliberative assembly, as near as I can tell (though the way our meetings are run sometimes, an outside observer may wonder where the ringmaster is). The difficulty is in some of the specialized rules our group has. For instance, we have two different classes of members, and many motions require the affirmative vote of certain numbers of members in each class; and votes are allocated based on ownership of property, so the one-member-one-vote rule doesn't apply. That kind of thing.

Of course, I have many questions about standard parliamentary law and procedure, as discussed in RONR. So as I continue in my confusion and learning, you might see me here occasionally. I've been secretary of our organization for the past year, and from the direction of the winds, I'm likely to be elected president for the next year. So you might see me here a whole lot, soon.

Thank you for the tips, Mr. Martin and Mr. Foulkes. At this point, I can use all the help I can get.

So you might see me here a whole lot, soon.

A few general suggestions:

• Don't include irrelevant information. It matters not if yours is a small dog club, a large horse club, or a church.
  • Don't omit relevant information. There's nothing worse than having the facts emerge drop by drop.
  • Don't expect anyone to remember facts about your organization from previous posts (although, remarkably, some will).
  • Beware of the "not hole"!

Archived