The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes ...

Guest Lesleyann

1. Are minutes approved or accepted?

We normally accept them, pending corrections. Is this correct?

This leads to my 2nd question:

2. When are the minutes final? Do you actually correct the minutes, then file them? (We're trying to figure out what and when to convert to PDF files) Or do we simple put the corrections in the next meeting minutes and the combined version become the final version?

2. When are the minutes final? Do you actually correct the minutes, then file them? (We're trying to figure out what and when to convert to PDF files) Or do we simple put the corrections in the next meeting minutes and the combined version become the final version?

1. Approved.

2. The combined version becomes the official (but not necessarily the final) version. Corrections made prior to approval need not be recorded but once the minutes are approved they're carved in stone. They can be amended but the original text remains unaltered.

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 343, l. 10-35 for the proper procedure for approving minutes.

Corrections are made in the original minutes, i.e., those that are being corrected. All you need to put into the minutes of the meeting at which the corrections were made is that the minutes of the prior meeting were "approved with corrections". You don't list them there.

Archived