The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amendment by Subsitution

Plubius

First of all, I am involved in a non-profit organization that is governed by its' full membership which meets twice a year. During the rest of the year, a board elected by the full membership is charged with running the business of the organization. This includes the fact that the board is to present a budget to the full body at the fall meeting that will be debated, amended, and subsequently voted on for the next year. This leads me to my question(s). The first being may a member of the board that approved (not unanimously) the budget for presentation to the full membership move to amend the budget that is being presented by susbstitution for another budget? Further, if this is possible, how would this process play out?

The first being may a member of the board that approved (not unanimously) the budget for presentation to the full membership move to amend the budget that is being presented by susbstitution for another budget? Further, if this is possible, how would this process play out?

A member of the organization, who happens to also be a member of the board, can make any motion any other member of the organization can make. Note, that at a meeting of the organization, the board, as a board, will not be present. And it doesn't matter how the member voted at the board meeting.

So when the motion to adopt the budget is made, make a motion to amend it.

First of all, I am involved in a non-profit organization that is governed by its' full membership which meets twice a year. During the rest of the year, a board elected by the full membership is charged with running the business of the organization. This includes the fact that the board is to present a budget to the full body at the fall meeting that will be debated, amended, and subsequently voted on for the next year. This leads me to my question(s). The first being may a member of the board that approved (not unanimously) the budget for presentation to the full membership move to amend the budget that is being presented by susbstitution for another budget?

Yes, if the board member is a member of the organization, he may move to amend.

Further, if this is possible, how would this process play out?

When the budget is before the assembly for adoption, the member should obtain the floor and say, "I move to substitute for the pending resolution [budget] the following resolution [budget]:(read the budget)." The original and the substitute will be open for amendment, as illustrated on RONR(10th ed.), p. 146, l. 15 - p. 154, l. 22. All of section 12 should probably be read in association with this.

Archived