The Official RONR Q & A Forums

discussion being acted upon again

Guest Steve Mansfield

Guest Steve Mansfield

Can a previous discussion item (two meetings of discussion) and then a third meeting of action that concluded with a motion - be reintroduced as discussion and then to another action/motion item, to this same standing committee? Thank you, Steve M.

Can a previous discussion item (two meetings of discussion) and then a third meeting of action that concluded with a motion - be reintroduced as discussion and then to another action/motion item, to this same standing committee? Thank you, Steve M.

That depends. What happened the first time it was voted on? It was voted on eventually, wasn't it?

Can a previous discussion item

(two meetings of discussion) and then a third meeting of action that concluded with a motion -

be reintroduced as discussion and then to another action/motion item, to this same standing committee?

Rules for a committee are indeed slightly different from the full, formal rules.

IF the committee is a kind of committee which RONR says has 100% of its meetings constitute one "session" (one "order of business"),

then:

• If you had a motion adopted, you can AMEND it or RESCIND it, or RECONSIDER it.

• If you had a motion rejected, you can RECONSIDER it.

• If not, (i.e., if your meetings do not constitute one continuous session/order of business) then, if a motion is adopted, then you cannot Reconsider it.

You are left with (a.) Amend; (b.) Rescind.

• If not, (i.e., if your meetings do not constitute one continuous session/order of business) then, if a motion is defeated, then you would merely make the identical motion.

No penalty. No suspension of the rules. No problem.

Even though informal discussion of a subject is permitted while no motion is pending in a committee*, see RONR(10th ed.), p. 33, l. 23-27.

*I noticed the word "committee" in your question, though I couldn't discern what bearing it had.

Archived