The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Prior recognition of votes from Previous Boards

Guest Sandra

Recently our club posted an issue to the members. It was in support of the Board's going forward on an issue that affected the club. That particular Board did not act upon the vote. Now a new Board has been selected and they are no longer interested in this issue. My question is: Does the new Board have to act on the previous Board's agenda?

Does the new Board have to act on the previous Board's agenda?

The board could rescind or otherwise amend a previously adopted motion of the board. But if the general membership ordered the board to act, the board has to act (unless the general membership rescinds the order).

(And it's best to just think of the board, not the "old board" and the "new board".

Recently our club posted an issue to the members.

It was in support of the Board's going forward on an issue that affected the club.

That particular Board did not act upon the vote.

Now a new Board has been selected and they are no longer interested in this issue.

Does the new Board have to act on the previous Board's agenda?

In general:

Whatever a board adopts, a board can un-adopt (i.e., rescind, annul, repeal).

A new board is under no obligation to let the status quo remain in place.

Granted, a new board must work under whatever rules and policies are in effect, UNTIL rescinded or amended.

So, in that regard, YES, whatever is adopted but not yet fully executed, must be executed. But that action which is not yet fully executed is at risk to be amended and at risk to be rescinded.

To cover the other side of the coin . . .

If nothing has been adopted yet, then the board is under no obligation to adopt anything, of course.

Just because X is on an agenda, that never implies that X shall be adopted.

Recently our club posted an issue to the members. It was in support of the Board's going forward on an issue that affected the club.

I don't know what you mean. Are you saying the general membership voted on a recommendation by the board?

That particular Board did not act upon the vote.

Do you mean the board voted or the general membership voted? Do you mean the board failed to carry out an order from the membership? Do you mean the board failed to vote?

Now a new Board has been selected and they are no longer interested in this issue.

The board doesn't want to consider the issue, or it doesn't want to follow an order?

My question is: Does the new Board have to act on the previous Board's agenda?

I'm unclear on this as well. Are you talking about a motion that was adopted by the board or by the general membership?

I don't know what you mean. Are you saying the general membership voted on a recommendation by the board?

The voting sheet actually read something like this: ”I support the (Name of the club) applying for (recognition of the action)”

Do you mean the board voted or the general membership voted? Do you mean the board failed to carry out an order from the membership? Do you mean the board failed to vote?

The general membership voted to let the Board make the decision of whether or not they wanted to pursue this action if the Board decided it was a wise course of action. It was the membership giving them permission.

The board doesn't want to consider the issue, or it doesn't want to follow an order?

The Board does not want to follow the action, but are unsure if this vote was just permission to pursue the thought or if it actually holds them to the action.

I'm unclear on this as well. Are you talking about a motion that was adopted by the board or by the general membership?

Ohhh...... so close.

Hey David, peer more closely at Sandra's reply, specifically look inside the 'quote' box ;) . Her answers to some of Mr. Wynn's questions are in there.

The voting sheet actually read something like this: ”I support the (Name of the club) applying for (recognition of the action)”

The general membership voted to let the Board make the decision of whether or not they wanted to pursue this action if the Board decided it was a wise course of action. It was the membership giving them permission.

What exactly did the motion (the one the general membership voted on) say? The two answers given here are different enough as to be quite confusing. Were there two motions (one supporting the application for recognition, and the other giving the board authority to actually make the final decision)?

Archived