The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Improper Vote?

Guest JLevicki

I was a part of a 6-member group which joined another 30-member group (a union) in early August. A few weeks later, during the time in which we were officially part of the union, a meeting was held that we (the 6 new members) were not invited to. The union president later apologized (via e-mail) and said he was confused as to our official membership date and stated we should have been invited to the meeting.

During the meeting, a vote was taken on a very sensitive contractual issue; one that we are now all bound to and which directly affects the six new members.

When this information became clear, we attempted to have the issue reopened, however we could not get the necessary 2/3 vote to do so. My question is this: if six members (all in good standing) are not allowed access to a meeting in this matter, is the vote taken during that meeting legitimate?

I was a part of a 6-member group which joined another 30-member group (a union) in early August. A few weeks later, during the time in which we were officially part of the union, a meeting was held that we (the 6 new members) were not invited to. The union president later apologized (via e-mail) and said he was confused as to our official membership date and stated we should have been invited to the meeting.

During the meeting, a vote was taken on a very sensitive contractual issue; one that we are now all bound to and which directly affects the six new members.

When this information became clear, we attempted to have the issue reopened, however we could not get the necessary 2/3 vote to do so. My question is this: if six members (all in good standing) are not allowed access to a meeting in this matter, is the vote taken during that meeting legitimate?

Had the members voted, could it have effected the result? If the motion was adopted 28 to 2, for example, it would not have.

My question is this: if six members (all in good standing) are not allowed access to a meeting in this matter, is the vote taken during that meeting legitimate?

The vote is legitimate if the members' votes could not have affected the result, otherwise the vote is invalid and must be retaken. (Official Interpretation 2006-6)

Archived