The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions

Guest Hilary

We are a small Board of 9 members for a hobbie activity group. Can the President make a motion without passing on running session to VP?

Yes. In boards of no more than about a dozen, it's okay for the President to make motions, to vote on all questions, and to enter into discussion without leaving the chair. Also, seconds to motions are typically not required.

Yes. In boards of no more than about a dozen, it's okay for the President to make motions, to vote on all questions, and to enter into discussion without leaving the chair. Also, seconds to motions are typically not required.

Only to be picky (and because I sometimes get reminded of this here) "subject to rule or customer within the particular board (which should be uniformly followed regardless of how many members are present)...." (p. 471 l. 8-10) :)

Only to be picky (and because I sometimes get reminded of this here) "subject to rule or customer within the particular board (which should be uniformly followed regardless of how many members are present)...." (p. 471 l. 8-10) :)

I think the rule or custom (not customer) part is the more important half of that citation here, as a board with only nine members will never have more than about a dozen members present.

Customers (or those just browsing) who are "within" (i.e., members of) an overly particular board may reserve the right to be picky according to the form on page 52, line 35.

Archived