The Official RONR Q & A Forums

abstain votes

Guest Trish Shaw

As Moderator of my church, on Sunday I presided a meeting in which a vote was taken. Our bylaws (which follow Roberts Rules) state:

"These bylaws may be amended at any meeting of the Corporation by a two thirds vote of the active Corporate members prescent and voting."

A paper ballot was taken and the following vote was recorded:

25 - yes

12 - no

2 - abstain

I stated the motion carried and is approved (thinking OK two to one). It was brought to my attention later the abstain votes count as "no", therefore we needed 26 votes to pass.

I immediately contacted the executive committee. Some state "no,the motion still stands because you announced it did and besides an abstain vote is a "no vote", and others feel "it does not pass since, it was not 2/3rds".

People are now threatening legal action. Please advise ASAP.

Thank you

Trish

As Moderator of my church, on Sunday I presided a meeting in which a vote was taken. Our bylaws (which follow Roberts Rules) state:

"These bylaws may be amended at any meeting of the Corporation by a two thirds vote of the active Corporate members prescent and voting."

25 - yes

12 - no

2 - abstain

I stated the motion carried and is approved (thinking OK two to one). It was brought to my attention later the abstain votes count as "no", therefore we needed 26 votes to pass.

I immediately contacted the executive committee. Some state "no,the motion still stands because you announced it did and besides an abstain vote is a "no vote", and others feel "it does not pass since, it was not 2/3rds".

Thank you

Trish

You did just fine. :)

25 - yes

12 - no

2 - abstain

Thank you

Trish

People who "abstain" from voting have not voted. Those present AND voting were 25 + 12, or 37. So you needed 25 votes, and that's what you had.

You were right, they were wrong.

Congratulations.

Thank you

Trish

Read FAQ#6 (as suggested by Mr. Mountcastle) for the relevant page citations in RONR -- hopefully that will lay the matter to rest, assuming the members are willing to read and believe what it says in their adopted parliamentary authority.

Do you need two thirds of the votes cast? Two thirds of members present? Or two thirds of the entire membership? If it's not clearly stated then you did right. But check to see how the votes should be counted

Trish Shaw said that her group's bylaws provide that "These bylaws may be amended at any meeting of the Corporation by a two thirds vote of the active Corporate members present and voting."

What more do you want?

She is exactly right.

Archived