The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Use of a Government Resolution Document

Guest Teddy

Greetings:

I am a Tribal person and am curious about the use of Tribal Resolutions. It has been my impression that Resolutions are used to make a declaration to the membership or another country etc. For example: a person where I work is requiring that a Tribal Resolution be used for each and every consultant contract/addendum. My argument has been that a Motion made by the Council is quite enough, and that using a Tribal Resolution diminishes the meaning of the resolution...

Maybe I am way off, but I would like to get clarification if anyone could assist! Thanks all.

Greetings:

I am a Tribal person and am curious about the use of Tribal Resolutions. It has been my impression that Resolutions are used to make a declaration to the membership or another country etc. For example: a person where I work is requiring that a Tribal Resolution be used for each and every consultant contract/addendum. My argument has been that a Motion made by the Council is quite enough, and that using a Tribal Resolution diminishes the meaning of the resolution...

Maybe I am way off, but I would like to get clarification if anyone could assist! Thanks all.

As far as Robert's Rules of Order is concerned, the form in which a motion is made (in other words, whether it is a resolution or not) does not affect how it is treated under the rules.

Greetings:

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 32, l. 7-10.

In RONR, a resolution is simply a particular type of motion which is worded in a specific way. Your rules may provide otherwise, but that is beyond the scope of this forum.

Archived