The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President-Elect resigns prior to Installation

Guest Barbara

If the Pres-Elect resigns prior to Installation and there are no specifics in our By-Laws to cover such an event,what would be the best way to proceed?

Are you using the term "president elect" to describe:

(a.) a person who was elected president but has not yet taken office?

(b.) a person who was elected to the position of "president-elect" and who is like a vice president, and who automatically takes office of president after the current president finishes his term of office?

The office of "president elect" (i.e., if it is a real office, and not a description of a person who has been newly elected to the office of President, but has not yet taken office) can be a problem. (Time, training, continuity, etc., is commonly a factor for those organizations who choose to go the "president-elect" route for their topmost office.)

In general, whenever a body elects someone who cannot serve, and who has not yet taken office, then the body to hold another round of balloting.

If the person had taken office, then a vacancy is created. The filling of a vacancy is not quite the same thing as filling a newly-elected slot of someone who never actually started his term of office.

For you, since this person has not been "installed", I will assume for now that this person never began his term of office. (Is my assumption correct?)

If that is the case, then you are to hold another round of balloting. Treat it like a regular election. It is NOT a vacancy -- yet!

Are you using the term "president elect" to describe:

(a.) a person who was elected president but has not yet taken office?

(b.) a person who was elected to the position of "president-elect" and who is like a vice president, and who automatically takes office of president after the current president finishes his term of office?

The office of "president elect" (i.e., if it is a real office, and not a description of a person who has been newly elected to the office of President, but has not yet taken office) can be a problem. (Time, training, continuity, etc., is commonly a factor for those organizations who choose to go the "president-elect" route for their topmost office.)

In general, whenever a body elects someone who cannot serve, and who has not yet taken office, then the body to hold another round of balloting.

If the person had taken office, then a vacancy is created. The filling of a vacancy is not quite the same thing as filling a newly-elected slot of someone who never actually started his term of office.

For you, since this person has not been "installed", I will assume for now that this person never began his term of office. (Is my assumption correct?)

If that is the case, then you are to hold another round of balloting. Treat it like a regular election. It is NOT a vacancy -- yet!

What do you think of awarding the office to the runner-up in the previous election?

Not much. Unless your bylaws say otherwise, you have no authority to aware the office to the runner up as he/she received approval of a less than a majority of those voting.

As stated above, if the president-elect accepted the office (either by being present when the election occurred or by not immediately declining when informed of the election), they you have a vacancy and can fill the vacancy in accordance with your bylaws. If the bylaws are silent on filling vacancies, you need to hold an election just like before. (It may be that the runner up is still not supported by a majority and another candidate will be successful.)

If the person declined the election, e.g. by immediately declining when informed of the election, then you have an incomplete election and must revote. No vacancy yet exists and you cannot invoke the vacancy provisions of your bylaws, if any.

I know this seems like a lot of bother but it's not good to install a president without that person having a majority mandate from the members. Note that you could schedule an election for January 12, the date of the installation.

-Bob

Thank you, Kim

Your assumption is correct.

What do you think of awarding the office to the runner-up in the previous election?

Our installation ceremony is scheduled for Jan 12

Jan 12

Nope, I think it would be prohibited by RONR. Whoever the runner-up was, one thing is certain: the runnier-up did NOT have a majority of the votes cast. And that is what RONR requires for election to any office.

However, I'm sure some folks here will be of the opinion that if you don't hold the election in time before the new terms begin, your vice president (whoever that would be at that moment) would become president, creating a vacancy in the VP position--which you would still have to fill with an election, because you have no alternate vacancy-filling provisions in your bylaws.

Archived