The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Revisiting a tie vote

Guest Clarence

I am not sure where I should look for the answer to this question in Robert's Rules.

Last month a friend and a few neighbors had motions heard to change the zoning back from residential to agricultural. My friends motion was denied due to a 2-2 tied vote. Another neighbors vote was also defeated with a similar vote but a 3rd passed 3-1.

My friend is now wondering how to have the motion "reconsidered" without having to pay the filing fee again. Would a motion for reconsideration be the route to take or is there some other way to obtain the same result?

I am not sure where I should look for the answer to this question in Robert's Rules.

Last month a friend and a few neighbors had motions heard to change the zoning back from residential to agricultural. My friends motion was denied due to a 2-2 tied vote. Another neighbors vote was also defeated with a similar vote but a 3rd passed 3-1.

My friend is now wondering how to have the motion "reconsidered" without having to pay the filing fee again. Would a motion for reconsideration be the route to take or is there some other way to obtain the same result?

Once the session is over, it's too late to Reconsider votes decided at that session. The motion could be "renewed" at a future meeting, but that just means that it gets introduced (moved) again. That might require a new filing fee, or not.

But Robert's Rules has nothing to say about filing fees. That would be covered by the rules of the zoning board.

Once the session is over, it's too late to Reconsider votes decided at that session. The motion could be "renewed" at a future meeting, but that just means that it gets introduced (moved) again. That might require a new filing fee, or not.

But Robert's Rules has nothing to say about filing fees. That would be covered by the rules of the zoning board.

Thanks for the response. My friend is limited financially and was hoping there was a way to have the issue of the rezoning heard by the entire board. All that I came across on my initial review of this website was the possibility of a motion to reconsider. Is there anything else I/we should be considering?

Thanks for the response. My friend is limited financially and was hoping there was a way to have the issue of the rezoning heard by the entire board. All that I came across on my initial review of this website was the possibility of a motion to reconsider. Is there anything else I/we should be considering?

Nothing in RONR is likely to address your situation.

Many governmental organizations operate with procedures other than RONR. As noted before, filing fees, etc. are not covered in this forum.

I suggest that you speak with your county clerk or similar officer. You might also inquire in the office of your county attorney. Ask them if you could see appeal documents filed by others.

You might also search on line for something like "appeal zoning board [name of your county]".

-Bob

Many governmental organizations operate with procedures other than RONR. As noted before, filing fees, etc. are not covered in this forum.

I suggest that you speak with your county clerk or similar officer. You might also inquire in the office of your county attorney. Ask them if you could see appeal documents filed by others.

You might also search on line for something like "appeal zoning board [name of your county]".

-Bob

Thank you Robert.

I checked online for my friend who is following up with someone from the township. The township appears to be willing to consider the possibility if a justification can be provided. From what my friend has told me the township is contacting their attorney with that question. At this point we are hoping for the best.

Archived