The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Mail In Ballots have a mistake in them

Guest Mary

My organization passed a motion last year to allow the use of mail in ballots for our board elections. They were recently mailed out to the membership with a mistake in them. There were only three out of the four names listed for the open director spots with the instruction to vote for two candidates. The ballots should have listed four candidates with the instructions to vote for three candidates for the three open positions. In order to correct this, the person in charge of the election sent an email to the membership telling them of the mistake and instructing the membership to write in the fourth name so it would make the ballot correct. Also told the membership that unless this was done, their ballot would not be considered for voting. I'm not sure this is acceptable for an election. This relies on members getting the email and following the instructions. Our election takes place in a week. Thoughts? Thanks

My organization passed a motion last year to allow the use of mail in ballots for our board elections. They were recently mailed out to the membership with a mistake in them. There were only three out of the four names listed for the open director spots with the instruction to vote for two candidates. The ballots should have listed four candidates with the instructions to vote for three candidates for the three open positions. In order to correct this, the person in charge of the election sent an email to the membership telling them of the mistake and instructing the membership to write in the fourth name so it would make the ballot correct. Also told the membership that unless this was done, their ballot would not be considered for voting. I'm not sure this is acceptable for an election. This relies on members getting the email and following the instructions. Our election takes place in a week. Thoughts? Thanks

Unless the motion which allows mail-in ballots was an amendment to the Bylaws, the motion is null and void. If it was adopted as an amendment to the Bylaws, it seems to me new ballots will need to be sent out. The e-mail does not constitute proper notice.

It would also violate RONR to throw away the ballots if someone did not write in a fourth name. Just because the ballot says Vote for Four does NOT mean you have to vote for four. Voters can vote for as few as none, and as many as four, without having their ballot disqualified.

So not only is the method of notification bogus, the message itself is bogus.

At this point the only rational way out is to invalidate this election and do it over correctly. It's beyond saving.

Archived