The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Term Limits / Bylaws

Guest Jackie Conrad

I am new to this non-for profit board still learning not alot of trainning. A motion passed to allow another term for the chairman which takes us way out of compliance with our bylaws. How or can I make a motion to reconsider this motion? I did not have full knowledge of the noncompliance nor did I know how to express my doubts at the time of the vote. I there a way to recind it?

JC

A motion passed to allow another term for the chairman which takes us way out of compliance with our bylaws.

How or can I make a motion to reconsider this motion?

I did not have full knowledge of the noncompliance nor did I know how to express my doubts at the time of the vote.

Is there a way to rescind it?

A point of order will be sufficient, in theory.

In practice, I doubt your point of order will be 'well taken'. -- You are already dealing with people who have no respect for their own rules. Never mind Robert's Rules.

I am new to this non-for profit board still learning not alot of trainning. A motion passed to allow another term for the chairman which takes us way out of compliance with our bylaws. How or can I make a motion to reconsider this motion? I did not have full knowledge of the noncompliance nor did I know how to express my doubts at the time of the vote. I there a way to recind it?

JC

Raise a point of order that the motion in question, or any motion that conflicts with the bylaws, if adopted, is null and void. There is nothing to rescind.

JC

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 332, l. 15-18, for the ammunition to carry out Mr. Goldworthy and Mr. Novosielski's advice. See p. 240, for Point of Order.

Archived