The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Letterhead

Guest Lynn G

I need to know what the protocol is on a past executive using the group letterhead for their own personal messages??

Well, RONR doesn't go into such details but it strikes me as inappropriate. I don't think you'll find either of the George Bushes, or Bill Clinton, or even Jimmy Carter, sending out letters on White House stationery.

Presumably, the stationery belongs to the organization so it's up to the organization to determine who gets to use it.

I need to know what the protocol is on a past executive using the group letterhead for their own personal messages??

It's not really a rule of order, so you wouldn't expect to find it within RONR.

But it does sound like something that could properly be the subject of a standing rule, which can be adopted at any meeting by a majority vote, specifying who is authorized to use the letterhead of the society, and specifying discipline for those who do not comply.

Even without a rule, this strikes me as something that, if not authorized, could land this past executive in hot water, if the assembly decides to get involved.

It violates no parliamentary rule.

It isn't a parliamentary issue, so no parliamentary rule will apply.

Analogy:

... any more than a past executive putting 10W-30 motor oil into his engine during a cold winter. -- It just has no answer within Robert's Rules of Order.

It violates no parliamentary rule.

It isn't a parliamentary issue, so no parliamentary rule will apply.

Analogy:

... any more than a past executive putting 10W-30 motor oil into his engine during a cold winter. -- It just has no answer within Robert's Rules of Order.

But still impermissible if that past executive was using motor oil he 'liberated' from the society's garage, without permission.

Archived