The Official RONR Q & A Forums

committee termination

Guest Stacy H.

In a subsection of our By-Laws it states: "Any committee appointed may be terminated by a majority vote of the full membership of the Board upon written notice to the appointee". What exactly does this mean insofar as what is required for a vote to terminate a committee?

In all other references to votes cast by the BOD it states "a majority vote of the members of the Board who are present", or by quorum, the quorum being "a majority of the Board".

In a subsection of our By-Laws it states: "Any committee appointed may be terminated by a majority vote of the full membership of the Board upon written notice to the appointee". What exactly does this mean insofar as what is required for a vote to terminate a committee?

In all other references to votes cast by the BOD it states "a majority vote of the members of the Board who are present", or by quorum, the quorum being "a majority of the Board".

Bylaws can only be properly interpreted in their entirety and I'm afraid that's beyond the scope of this forum.

Stacy - actually the language seems pretty clear, to me anyway.

Bylaws can't be interpreted here, as noted above, but if you'd like to delve further into this issue and get some opinions.......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\/

Bylaws can't be interpreted here, as noted above, but if you'd like to delve further into this issue and get some opinions.......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\/

Stacy H. I guess my question is....by reading what is stated in the By-Laws, and the distinction between voting by BOD members present, and the use of "full membership", does this mean that the entire body of the BOD must be present in order to vote?

Stacy H. I guess my question is....by reading what is stated in the By-Laws, and the distinction between voting by BOD members present, and the use of "full membership", does this mean that the entire body of the BOD must be present in order to vote?

The language RONR uses is "majority of the entire membership". This sounds a lot like your "majority vote of the full membership of the Board", although that interpretation will be yours to make. RONR also makes a distinction between the number of seats (fixed membership), and the number of current members (entire membership). This can affect the voting requirement.

Example:

A Board that is defined as having 12 members has a "fixed membership" of 12. If two of those seats are vacant, you have an "entire membership" of 10. Thus, a majority of the "entire membership" is 6 (more than half of 10), while a majority of the "fixed" membership is 7 (more than half of 12).

All the members do not need to be present, but you must have a quorum present to conduct business, and then the required number of votes (6 or 7, depending) must be cast in favor of the motion to adopt it.

Is "full membership" the same as "fixed membership" (number of seats) or "entire membership" (number of members)? That is an interpretation your organization will need to make.

... does this mean that the entire body of the BOD must be present in order to vote?

That is one interpretation.

Is it the only interpretation?

No.

Is the wording of your rule lifted from RONR?

No. Therefore, no page can be cited to "prove" one interpretation is more authentic than another interpretation.

It doesn't to me.

On the one hand it talks about terminating a committee, but then notifying the appointee. I don't understand what's being terminated exactly--one person, or the whole committee.

These bylaws are badly written, as witness the voting requirements which are also cumbersome to decode.

Fortunately, the society itself has the task of interpreting them, or if they tire of that, improving them.

It occurs to me that the word "appointed" may have been a mistranscription of "apointee". No way to tell, without seeing the original text.

It doesn't to me.

On the one hand it talks about terminating a committee, but then notifying the appointee. I don't understand what's being terminated exactly--one person, or the whole committee.

These bylaws are badly written, as witness the voting requirements which are also cumbersome to decode.

Fortunately, the society itself has the task of interpreting them, or if they tire of that, improving them.

It occurs to me that the word "appointed" may have been a mistranscription of "apointee". No way to tell, without seeing the original text.

Agreed, the language regarding committee and appointee is troubling. Unless the committee is a committee of one. :) Or maybe it should have been appointees. And the bylaws could use some cleaning up.

As for the clarity of the voting requirement, which is what I was referring to in reference to the question asked, were I to be a member interpreting the bylaws, I know what I'd suggest.

I betcha an "s" was truncated, and that the bylaws state "...notice to the appointees."

Archived