The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes

grammaconnie

The Secretary of the Executive Board types up the minutes of our meetings, which are then presented to the board at its next meeting for approval. The issue that keeps arising is that the management company will also type up minutes and forward them to the board for approval at its next meeting. Hence, two sets of minutes.

In the past, boards have had the management company type the minutes, not the secretary. I believe we have a control issue going on here, and I would appreciate your guidance.

The Secretary of the Executive Board types up the minutes of our meetings, which are then presented to the board at its next meeting for approval. The issue that keeps arising is that the management company will also type up minutes and forward them to the board for approval at its next meeting. Hence, two sets of minutes.

In the past, boards have had the management company type the minutes, not the secretary. I believe we have a control issue going on here, and I would appreciate your guidance.

Make up your minds on who is responsible for taking, writing, and submitting the minutes to the Board and then codify it in the bylaws.

Hence, two sets of minutes.

The minutes submitted by the secretary should be considered first. If the board wants to make corrections (including accepting a different version of the minutes) it can do so. But that seems like a good way to lose a secretary.

In any event, if the minutes are prepared properly, there should be little, if any, difference in the two versions.

Archived