The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President's duties

tktk@zoominternet.net

I am the President of a volunteer non-profit group and one of my duties is to appoint with ratification of the Executive Board a chairperson for all standing committees. However no one will take the position of the auction chairperson within the group. There is nothing in the by-laws that states that I cannot appoint myself as the chairperson. I am however an ex-officio of all committees except the nominating committee. I am asking if I can appoint myself as the committee chairperson?

I am the President of a volunteer non-profit group and one of my duties is to appoint with ratification of the Executive Board a chairperson for all standing committees. However no one will take the position of the auction chairperson within the group. There is nothing in the by-laws that states that I cannot appoint myself as the chairperson. I am however an ex-officio of all committees except the nominating committee. I am asking if I can appoint myself as the committee chairperson?

As long as there's no rule in your bylaws against it, you're fine. There isn't one in RONR.

But, have you considered appointing the Vice President? They usually don't have much to do. :)

But, have you considered appointing the Vice President? They usually don't have much to do. :)

While it's true that the Vice President has virtually no duties under RONR, it is my experience that organizations tend to dump all sorts of miscellaneous duties on their Vice President. I suspect there is some connection between these facts.

Archived