The Official RONR Q & A Forums

removing insubordinate board member

Guest gloria

Depends on how you got to your present position.

If you went through the (long, involved) process of Chapter 20, he may (citation needed by someone who knows Ch. 20 back and forth) lose the right to vote during that process.

If you are following the process on p. 574, then he does NOT lose the right to vote on his "removal".

Which proces are you following?

Stay tuned.

If you went through the (long, involved) process of Chapter 20, he may (citation needed by someone who knows Ch. 20 back and forth) lose the right to vote during that process.

In formal disciplinary procedures, the accused must leave the room after the closing arguments and may not return until voting is completed (RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 667-668). Therefore, he cannot vote on the question of guilt or the penalty.

If you are following the process on p. 574, then he does NOT lose the right to vote on his "removal".

Agreed, although I would think the board member should not vote.

Agreed, although I would think the board member should not vote.

I think this has come up here before (what hasn't!) and one's answer seems to hinge on whether one thinks that voting (presumably against) one's removal from office is analogous to voting (presumably for) one's election to office (the latter being quite appropriate).

I think this has come up here before (what hasn't!) and one's answer seems to hinge on whether one thinks that voting (presumably against) one's removal from office is analogous to voting (presumably for) one's election to office (the latter being quite appropriate).

Yes, and I don't think it is analogous to voting for one's election to office. RONR is clear that the rule regarding "personal or pecuniary interest" does not apply when a member is a candidate for an office for which other members are generally eligible. For an election, the question is not whether Mr. X shall be elected, but who shall be elected, and Mr. X is just one possibility. In the case of removal, however, the question is whether Mr. X shall be removed.

• 9 months later...

Archived