The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Revocation of Committee Member

Guest Elijah

The person (or body) that appointed the member to the committee is very likely to be the person (or body) that can remove her.

Or him.

See also FAQ #20.

Since the OP is referring to the removal of a committee member, I doubt that FAQ #20 is applicable unless this "committee member" is an elected officer.  But, your comment that usually the person or body that appoints the members of a committee also has the power to remove them is correct.   For the benefit of the OP, it's covered in RONR on pages 177 and 497.

Thanks for your opinions. Sorry for not describing the scenario clearer.

The Committee member that I mention is chairperson that was elected by election in AGM. As she constantly creates chaos in and brings bad name to the organization, how can we expel her before the term? For your information, I was so surprised that I couldn't find any article concerning this issue in our constitution and by-laws.

Your advices are very much welcomed. Sorry as English is not my native languange that I may not describe the scenario accurately before.

The Committee member that I mention is chairperson that was elected by election in AGM. As she constantly creates chaos in and brings bad name to the organization, how can we expel her before the term?

I'm still a bit confused.  Do you want to remove this person from the committee or do you want to expel her from membership in the organization?  Do you just want to remove her as chairman or remove her from the committee?  For the sake of this discussion, I'm assuming you want to remove her from the committee.  And I'm assuming you are talking about a true committee and not a board such as the board of directors or executive board (or executive committee).

With the foregoing in mind, and assuming that she was elected to membership on the committee by the assembly and you want to remove her as a member of the committee, then the assembly may remove her by the same method to rescind or amend something previously adopted:  It takes a majority vote with previous notice.  Without previous notice, it takes a two thirds vote or a vote of a majority of the entire membership to remove her.

If removing her from the committee is not what you want to do, please try to explain again exactly what her position is and what it is that you want to do.  I gave you the citation to the relevant parts of RONR for removing committee members in post No 3 above.  If she is an elected officer of the organization and you are trying to remove her from office, the procedure will be different.  Mr. Guest gave you a citation for doing that in post No. 2

• 3 years later...

If the offending person was elected to a committee for a period of time (three years), is my reading of the rules correct in that the person must be treated similar to an officer with regard to the process of seeking removal from the committee position?  And thus requires an investigating committee, charges, and a trial?

46 minutes ago, Guest Guest 2 said:

If the offending person was elected to a committee for a period of time (three years), is my reading of the rules correct in that the person must be treated similar to an officer with regard to the process of seeking removal from the committee position?  And thus requires an investigating committee, charges, and a trial?

No, if you are talking about an ordinary standing or special committee, a member can be removed by whatever person or body put the person on the committee.  The power to appoint includes the power to remove.  There is no need to resort to disciplinary proceedings.   Perhaps the following provision on page 177 of RONR will be helpful.  Pay particular attention to the portion that I have bolded:

"VACANCIES IN A COMMITTEE. The power to appoint a committee includes the power to fill any vacancy that may arise in it. The resignation of a member of a committee should be addressed to the appointing power, and it is the responsibility of that power to fill the resulting vacancy (see also pp. 467–68). Unless the bylaws or other governing rules provide otherwise (see pp. 497, 653), the appointing authority has the power to remove or replace members of the committee: If a single person, such as the president, has the power of appointment, he has the power to remove or replace a member so appointed; but if the assembly has the power of selection, removal or replacement can take place only under rules applicable to the motions to Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted (see p. 497). Committee members are presumed to serve until their successors are appointed. "

Edited to add:  Guest Guest 2:  In the future, it is best to ask a question by starting a new thread rather than tagging onto a thread which is over three years old.  Perhaps some forums do it that way, but in here we prefer that new questions be asked by starting a new thread even if it is similar to the subject matter of an existing thread.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.